Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joed5

Fishing with Braid

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

New member, fishing with braid for the first time. Just returning to surf fishing after a 10 years. Was into fly fising  for trout. The braid line I am using is twisted. I started out tieing my leader to the braid with a double uni knot. Had my line replaced(for free) Used a barrel swivel between the line and leader. The line is twisted again. Wanted to know if this is normal.  Was mostly using Ava's with a teaser. Thanks for your help. Have been using this site for a few months and have learned a lot. Thanks Tried to put a picture but I don't think it worked

Not common at all. i use the same line for a season with no twists. the only thing I can think of is the offset bent hook on the ava would have a great impact on line twist. Loose the ava, tie on a large barrel swivel to the main line and a three or four foot leader and cast a plain bank sinker as far as you can comfortably. Do this twenty times or so and you may have the barrel help straighten out the twist

Thanks for the help. Almost everyone fishing were using Avas, didn't think to ask if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. The first time it happened I thought it was because I did not have a swivel. Though the swivel would help, guess not.

Only a ball-bearing swivel effectively prevents twist when its under load - barrel swivels essentially stop working when the friction of their internal pieces becomes too great, at the load needed to do that is surprisingly light.

I'd start with a hook configuration on the lure that doesn't cause twist in the first place and if its still an issue, throw a couple ball-bearing swivels into the mix.

Make sure you're not reeling against your drag too ;)

^^ what he said, and be sure the reel yer using has a decent line roller that doesn't impart twist during the retrieve.....