Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

Jigmaster and Squidder and Braid

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Fellas,

Thanks for all the help with the togging advice in my other thread, but I was a little over gunned when I went. My reels were way too big. I need to reassess my tog gear. I have a 146 and a 505 with a tiburan (501) that I think I may use next week. I am pretty comfortable casting these, but I never loaded them with braid. Any actual horror stories with braid on either of these. ( the 501 will be used for cod later, so also curious about braid on that). Both have updated drags and power handles, and spin like butter.

Also a few other reels I may use, 525, a few 6500's, 20slosh, 975 (all surf stuff). Don't start screaming avet,accurates and saltigas because I already have too many reels and my wife is poised with a pair of scissors.

Thanks

Jason B

( I am slowly starting to understand your addiction with dem ugly fish)

The reels you have are fine. My first choice would be the 146 and the last choice would be the 6500 abu. I used a 501 last year but I like a faster retrieve and a smaller diameter reel. The slosh and the 525 will also suffice. I had 65lb braid on the 501 and had no problems.

Agree with Mick...the 146 is probably my favorite blackfish reel. I've been fishing this year soley with my 140 and 980 Mag. I did some maintenance on the 146 last year and never put it back on my pole. Nothing wrong with a jig master either. They are really big and heavy but they make a good blackfishing reel. Abu 6500 would be the last on my list of reels to use. The only Abu that is worthy of blackfishing would be a 7700 CT Morrum.

Just my opinion,,,,,,the 501 or the 505 is the BEST local reel for any species outside of large tuna. I bought an additional one from mick last winter to add to my arsenal on my boat. Simple to repair, balance better on any rod than a larger Jigmaster and hold enough line for whatever you have to fish for even on offshore wrecks. Save the money from all the new reels out there and stick with what works.

Mike

Fellas,

Good to know my squidder and modified jig are good tog choices and I can bring it back in the line-up. Hate seeing them sit there.

How about that on the 6500! I thought it would be the first choice in the lot. The guys next to me were tossing them, one silver c3, one blue c4, and even a c5. There weren't sharpies, but they were flinging them fine none the less. I could see needing to beef up the drags to smoothies. But good to know.

It will be nice to use my good 'ol Penns again.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I would think a 6500 would flex and twist trying to pull a big one out. The grinding gears would be a horror show.

And a properly tuned Squidder should cast like a dream.

What the big deal with casting for tog? The farther you cast the worse you get hung up. Drop it down or cast out 30 feet or so if you need to. A 6500 has no place on a tog trip. People use them and if you want to have at it. Thats only my opinion, and thats not worth much.

Depends on the spot Mick. There are some grounds where the rock was formed by an ancient glacier and it s very sporadic requiring the angler to search for hangs. I would rather be hung up than not. Not only that but I believe the bigger fish will eventually get spooked away from the boat requiring a cast to search for em

Depends on the spot Mick. There are some grounds where the rock was formed by an ancient glacier and it s very sporadic requiring the angler to search for hangs. I would rather be hung up than not. Not only that but I believe the bigger fish will eventually get spooked away from the boat requiring a cast to search for em

Can't argue with that.

The 6500 can outcast a 501 or 505 IF YOU ARE SURF CASTING. If you need to cast that far for blackfish, use the 6500 from a jetty, but if the boat you are fishing on can't put you to within casting distance that is out of reach of a Jigmaster, you are on the wrong boat. When I blackfish (and just my opinion) I prepare for big fish all the time. The kind that has taught me in the past to fish with reels that can be sent to hell and back,,never would I use a 6500 for blackfishing. Learn how to cast a 501/505 and you will let that 6500 collect dust.

Thanks for the advice. Casting isn't a problem. I can cast the squidder plenty far and tiburaned 505 is easily cast. To be honest, it ain't really casting, it more pitching which can practically be done with 50t if you wanted. Naw, my comment oon the 6500 was based on seeing a bunch on the boat and reading few post on 6500 for togging. I had a nice 6500c with a foran power handle that wasn't the best caster but plenty for boat casting that I thought I use but it seems like it would be the gears as the main issue. Either way the Penn's will be in the lineup.

Thanks

Actually, I am still interested in my initial post question, anybody ever use braid on a 146?