Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clopes

Lure choice

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I know every tide, locale, weather, bait etc. is different but why choose one lure over another. Such as your fishing a fast moving water way in the cape area (hint hint) why throw a darter instead of a pencil popper or needle Instead of a metal lipped swimmer? Casting ability may also have an effect but all these lures imitate he same fish so is it mostly confidence or what. Never used a darter or a pencil popper but will be getting some for next year. Fished metal lips with succes as well as bombers and sebiles but was wondering others thoughts on why they choose a certain lure when reaching into their bag. (I left out plastics as I'm pretty sure we all use those quite a bit and it's still my go to but was curious about plugs).

There's a reason pencils reign supreme in the canal.;) They cast like hell, and catch bass under a variety of conditions. Darter are a suitable choice in the surf IMO, but are a poor second choice in the canal.

A new line of pencils should be out in April, and these will eventually find their way into most everyone's plug bag.;)

I'm less interested in what the lure simulates than where it fishes. I tend to use jigs a lot to fish the bottom, but if I'm not having any luck down deep, then I'll throw on a popper and work the surface. Nothing there? Go a little deeper with a lipped swimmer. I"m trying to fish the water column, checking each level before moving to another spot and try it all over again.

Needless to say, if I see fish working the surface, I go to a surface lure.

I'm less interested in what the lure simulates than where it fishes................ I"m trying to fish the water column, checking each level before moving to another spot and try it all over again.

Needless to say, if I see fish working the surface, I go to a surface lure.

:th:

There's a reason pencils reign supreme in the canal.;) They cast like hell, and catch bass under a variety of conditions. Darter are a suitable choice in the surf IMO, but are a poor second choice in the canal.

A new line of pencils should be out in April, and these will eventually find their way into most everyone's plug bag.;)

The darters I've fished dive too deep too quick for me to consider them for a beach, but often get thrown at the canal and breachways as a first or second choice lure. :p

This has been brought up ad nauseum....

But a loaded pencil, allowed to sink well into the depths of the mysterious, swirling canal currents, and "ripped" back with an erratic retrieve, is often as deadly as it gets.;)

This has been brought up ad nauseum....

But a loaded pencil, allowed to sink well into the depths of the mysterious, swirling canal currents, and "ripped" back with an erratic retrieve, is often as deadly as it gets.;)

Hence why I said first, or second choice ;) I absolutely am not arguing with you about that. But I think a lot of people dismiss the Darter for no reason other than confidence in a plug a lot of makers aren't confident enough to even make. There are a lot of ****** darters out there, but get your hands on a good one :drool:

Hence why I said first, or second choice ;) I absolutely am not arguing with you about that. But I think a lot of people dismiss the Darter for no reason other than confidence in a plug a lot of makers aren't confident enough to even make. There are a lot of ****** darters out there, but get your hands on a good one :drool:

But I don't think there's a darter out there that will throw 90 yards, that also won't ride up fast as it hits the current.

90+ yards is a stretch for any plug other than a butt weighted pencil or a tin :p

BUT there are a lot of areas along the canal with great rips within 20-30 yards of the banks where once you get the darter to dig into the rip, you barely have to do anything other than hold on and wiat for the strike. I definitely wouldn't use a darter if I were casting to breaking fish... but day and night, a darter is definitely one of my go-to plugs.

90+ yards is a stretch for any plug other than a butt weighted pencil or a tin :p

BUT there are a lot of areas along the canal with great rips within 20-30 yards of the banks where once you get the darter to dig into the rip, you barely have to do anything other than hold on and wiat for the strike. I definitely wouldn't use a darter if I were casting to breaking fish... but day and night, a darter is definitely one of my go-to plugs.

OK?:confused:

BUT there are a lot of areas along the canal with great rips within 20-30 yards of the banks where once you get the darter to dig into the rip, you barely have to do anything other than hold on and wiat for the strike......

Yep, what he said, and even less than that under certain conditions. ;)

I know there is a group of guys that I fished with consistently down there throughout 2011 and we all had at least one darter in our bag at all times, and all caught on said darters jsut about every trip.

I even fished darters right enxt to you several times before you knew who I was. Casted into a very well known rip that happens to the right of where you were standing, and let the darter magic happen :D

Bob perhaps if you did not have Charlie on your lap and stopped using the Pat pending Bull rake by Maggie you would see that some do have success with the use of a Darter inside the waters of the canal. It may not cast well for distance, but when one just fishes the edges of the rip it does have its believers:D:kiss:

At one time the darter was in every ones box both from shore and boat