Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Century vs. St. Croix Legend

Rate this topic

265 posts in this topic

It seems that these 2 blanks have been getting the most hype over the last few years. I currently own a Legend 10'6 3/4 - 4 oz and can't imagine a rod much better. Since switching to St. Croix, I no longer enjoy using my custom Ron Arra's. For those who know, what are the differences between the Legend and Century Blanks? Does Century make a blank comparable to the Legend 10'6 3/4 - 4 oz model?

From a laymen perspective it seems odd that one would use a carp blank to fish for stripers? As you know the conditions for catching carp, along with the fighting characteristics of the two fish, are entirely different.

Thanks.

Formally known as Pacifican

Someone beat me to it...............this is exactly what i wanted to inquire about. Century has indeed advertised a rod for exceptional distance with lightweight characteristics....but what does "exceptional" distance actually mean as compared to the Legend?...........ought to be interesting to see how they both compare............

It seems that these 2 blanks have been getting the most hype over the last few years. I currently own a Legend 10'6 3/4 - 4 oz and can't imagine a rod much better. Since switching to St. Croix, I no longer enjoy using my custom Ron Arra's. For those who know, what are the differences between the Legend and Century Blanks? Does Century make a blank comparable to the Legend 10'6 3/4 - 4 oz model?

From a laymen perspective it seems odd that one would use a carp blank to fish for stripers? As you know the conditions for catching carp, along with the fighting characteristics of the two fish, are entirely different.

Thanks.

Formally known as Pacifican

To each his or her own. I sold my Legend & bought a Century & a CTS. St Croix has been a favorite next to Loomis.

What ever Floats Your Boat!

To each his or her own. I sold my Legend & bought a Century & a CTS. St Croix has been a favorite next to Loomis.

What ever Floats Your Boat!

What for? Another lovely picture ?:laugh:

The Century blanks were designed to handle north east fish and north east conditions, i am talking about the Stealth and Slingshot series, they have no trouble landing big fish. Those that have them seem to love them but the same can be said about the Legends. It's all personal preference in the end. I would strongly advise attending one of Century's demo day casting clinics so you can get a better idea of how they cast and perform.

It should be noted that if going with Century you have to have the rod built for you unless you do it yourself, and the warranty is not a no fault warranty, it's a lifetime against defects in materials and workmanship.

I would not worry about that type of thing unless you are extremely hard on your equipment and have broken rods in the past. Both rods get the job done and both utilize advanced technology. I have been fishing the LSS106MHMF2 for the last two years and i'm thrilled with it's capability, it does everything i ask of it and then some, and it's made in the good old US of A.:th::th:

U.S manufacturers don't make ( distance casting rods) in the definitive term, so you have no choice then to look to overseas manufacturers if that is what your after.

What for? Another lovely picture ?:laugh:

He aquired the Legend model that was the exact opposite of what he prefers. The 3/4-4oz Legend would of been ideal for him imo, but he ended up with the 10 1-4oz model.

The Century blanks were designed to handle north east fish and north east conditions, i am talking about the Stealth and Slingshot series, they have no trouble landing big fish. Those that have them seem to love them but the same can be said about the Legends. It's all personal preference in the end. I would strongly advise attending one of Century's demo day casting clinics so you can get a better idea of how they cast and perform.

It should be noted that if going with Century you have to have the rod built for you unless you do it yourself, and the warranty is not a no fault warranty, it's a lifetime against defects in materials and workmanship.

I would not worry about that type of thing unless you are extremely hard on your equipment and have broken rods in the past. Both rods get the job done and both utilize advanced technology. I have been fishing the LSS106MHMF2 for the last two years and i'm thrilled with it's capability, it does everything i ask of it and then some, and it's made in the good old US of A.:th::th:

U.S manufacturers don't make ( distance casting rods) in the definitive term, so you have no choice then to look to overseas manufacturers if that is what your after.

He aquired the Legend model that was the exact opposite of what he prefers. The 3/4-4oz Legend would of been ideal for him imo, but he ended up with the 10 1-4oz model.

Ideal for what? pictures with a Stella? .

BTW - Your post at the top was excellent...I had nothing to add...

Ideal for what? pictures with a Stella? .

BTW - Your post at the top was excellent...I had nothing to add...

Thanks Levari, now to your first question, maybe pictures with his new Z. I always wondered why Ron had never checked out the 3/4-4oz Legend because it sounded like the perfect match,as he likes the more moderate actions, so when i found out that he sold the 10 1-4oz rod it was no surprise because it's stiff and fast through and through. I'm happy that the Century fits his needs though. Ron has enough rods, i bet if you put all his rods from tip to butt it would circle the earth four times.

Thanks Levari, now to your first question, maybe pictures with his new Z. I always wondered why Ron had never checked out the 3/4-4oz Legend because it sounded like the perfect match,as he likes the more moderate actions, so when i found out that he sold the 10 1-4oz rod it was no surprise because it's stiff and fast through and through. I'm happy that the Century fits his needs though. Ron has enough rods, i bet if you put all his rods from tip to butt it would circle the earth four times.

Do you really think he went out to fish with that rod?....forget it...keep up with your first post..I liked reading it....

I was out last week on a bar and I can tell you, each time I take out the LSS, I fall in love with it even more ..No one could get even close to the distance I achieved with that rod.....Just an awesome rod for the surf of NJ...especially places like IBSP...

There are "factory" Century Slingshots available here in NJ as I have one. Hatteras Jack has wrapped some and they are being distributed/sold through some of the local Supply spots.

There are "factory" Century Slingshots available here in NJ as I have one. Hatteras Jack has wrapped some and they are being distributed/sold through some of the local Supply spots.

That's good to know ,but for the most part, Century and CTS will need to be built and thats a good thing because they are built for the individual. Buying off the rack is fine, but it's not going to be as personal as having the rod built to your exact wants and preferences.

It always puzzled me when Customs were for sale in the BST and advertised as a custom for sale. It's a custom to whomever it was built for originally, but is not necessarily a custom for someone who picks it up second hand, as it was not built and fitted to him. IMO it should still be considered due to the usually better components etc...

so what i hearing here is that "Distance" wise......................................................Century may have it over the Legend? I'm with the concept of "Made in the USA" and will always buy St.Croix....................but for the discussion, sounds like Century can hit it farther than the Legend....................assuming one with proper technique uses both rods----how much further are we talking - on the average..............

so what i hearing here is that "Distance" wise......................................................Century may have it over the Legend? I'm with the concept of "Made in the USA" and will always buy St.Croix....................but for the discussion, sounds like Century can hit it farther than the Legend....................assuming one with proper technique uses both rods----how much further are we talking - on the average..............

Greatly depends what blank, if they are Century's legit Distance rods ala TTR, than no doubt they will cast farther, as St.Croix does not make a rod designed for distance.

The Century 10'6" are not distance rods...you won't get greater distances than the LSS..I can tell you something else, Few weeks ago I tried to out smart the other guys so I brought with me my 12''6" that I use in Mexico...It did not get me the lures farther than the lss with over the head casting....I get great distances with it when I do OTG....So, don't assume by brand or length...There is always some technique that need to get involved to reach the maximum capability of the blank...

I doubt the Slingshot 10'6" 1-3 will cast the same plug further than the Legend 10'6" 3/4-4. As I don't think the 11' 2-5 will outcast the Legend 11'.

Now, when you are talking competition rods Like the 14' TTR, that's a different story. But these are rods designed to swing lead weights in the 4+ oz range in a grass field, not lures. Who is going to plug with a 14' rod? Unless you are in an exotic location, throwing 8oz poppers to GTs. Otherwise, these are going to be bait rods. Legends are not really bait rods. People are talking Jersey this, Jersey that, second bar, you didn't get over you didn't catch. Fishing high tide, put a 3 oz bank on the end of your line and a teaser or two, and you were well over the second bar.