Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Gun regulation question?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So much is left open to interpretation of both the gun owner and the officer.

When I hunt, I drive around with my 28ga sitting across the back seat of my truck. When these new gun laws came out some 15 years ago, I was once told by a state cop I often bumped into while bird hunting that when not in use, the shotgun is "supposed" to either have a trigger lock in place, or be in a locked, secure case while you're driving around in your vehicle. The fact that you're in the vehicle does not nessesarily mean the gun is in a safe container (your car) and under your control.

I think the EPOs realize this law nebulous, and that's why it's not enforced to the letter.

The "friend" in question is clearly in violation of the law as written and could be arrested for improper storage / transportation of a firearm. If that was to ever happen he can kiss his LTC / FID goodbye forever as any firearm violation is an instant disqualification.

Does not seem like a wise path to follow to me.....

Alot (everybody) gets confused when trying to navigate MGL in regards to guns.

Common oversights/misinterpretation include:

-dont confuse MGL hand gun/High capacity laws with the laws/regulations for low capacity long guns. There are differences, especially when transporting them in a vehicle.

-© No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

To legally transport my Mini-14 it has to be in a locked case. But my Browning A5 can be zipped up in a soft case.

MGL chapter 269 , para 12d: defines "unloaded" as including magazine and chamber except for Muzzleloaders.

Trigger locks, not required for low capacity when you are in your vehicle. If you stop somewhere to get food then technically your gun is no longer in your direct control and now requires a locking device.

- Never research Mass Gun laws from 2nd hand websites. (except G.O.A.L.) Always search the Mass general laws and CMR's directly and be careful to read the actual text and the intent, not just want you want to hear.

Quite a few legal law abiding gun owners have found themselves in hot water due to not fully understanding our complex gun laws. Vice versa with law enforcement too.

Excerpt from the Hunting abstracts:

TRAVEL: Rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders may not be carried on public ways unless the person is lawfully engaged in hunting. When transported in a motor vehicle, rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders must be unloaded and in an enclosed case. A large capacity firearm must be carried unloaded and contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

STORAGE: State law requires that whenever a gun is not under your direct control, it must be kept in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock. Muzzleloaders are exempt from this requirement.

Technically he was legal by just casing the rifle for transport, The Remington 700 is not a high capacity so he did not need to lock it. . Since he lost the gun and it was no longer in his direct control I hope he had a trigger lock installed.

Bottom line is someone has to held accountable for missing tax-payer property. Hopefully the gun is never used in illegal activity. The liability factor is huge.

This whole story stinks. Tactical unit disbanded = former team members looking for a good deal cheap. A good samaritan notify's him his tail gate is down at 11PM , Hmmmm I could ride around all week with mine down and no one would give it a second look.