Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Gun regulation question?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

A bird hunting buddy of mine does something which I claim is a major violation, and he claims is within the law.

While driving between spots, his gun (a pump) in stowed away in a semi rigid gun case, with the action open. However, while the action is open, he has two live rounds in the magazine.:confused:

He's been doing this for years. I say:

There's shells in the magazine, the magazine is part of the gun, therefore the gun's loaded.

He says:

The gun is not loaded b/c for it to be loaded, there would have to be a live round in chamber.

Thoughts? Can anyone find this in b&w in the regulations? Because I can't.

Section 12D. (a) Except as exempted or provided by law, no person shall carry on his person on any public way a loaded rifle or shotgun having cartridges or shells in either the magazine or chamber thereof. For purposes of this section, “loaded shotgun or loaded rifle” shall mean any shotgun or rifle having ammunition in either the magazine or chamber thereof, such ammunition including a live cartridge, primer (igniter), bullet or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun and, in the case of a muzzle loading or black powder shotgun or rifle, containing powder in the flash pan, a percussion cap and shot or ball; but the term “loaded shotgun or loaded rifle” shall not include a shotgun or rifle loaded with a blank cartridge, which contains no projectile within such blank or within the bore or chamber of such shotgun or rifle.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob_G View Post

A bird hunting buddy of mine does something which I claim is a major violation, and he claims is within the law.

While driving between spots, his gun (a pump) in stowed away in a semi rigid gun case, with the action open. However, while the action is open, he has two live rounds in the magazine.confused.gif

He's been doing this for years. I say:

There's shells in the magazine, the magazine is part of the gun, therefore the gun's loaded.

He says:

The gun is not loaded b/c for it to be loaded, there would have to be a live round in chamber.

Thoughts? Can anyone find this in b&w in the regulations? Because I can't.

No offense, but your buddy is a moron. Is it too much work to unload the magazine? See Justin's exerpt - a gun is considered loaded when there's ammo in the chamber OR magazine.

If he's so confident in his interpretation, why don't you drive up to an EPO next time you see one and show him the "unloaded" gun.  cwm27.gif

No offense, but your buddy is a moron. Is it too much work to unload the magazine? See Justin's exerpt - a gun is considered loaded when there's ammo in the chamber OR magazine.

If he's so confident in his interpretation, why don't you drive up to an EPO next time you see one and show him the "unloaded" gun.  :laugh:

Hey, I felt the same way. :laugh: I often move to 5 to 6 different covers per day, and how much efforts does it take to unload my gun?

It was probably back in the 1990s that an ex-Marine in Connecticut, experienced NRA type, was showing his young children that hand guns were perfectly safe at the kitchen table. Blew his own brains out in front of them. Because he didn't take the standard safety precautions that would prevent such an accident from happening. There's a certain kind of guy who thinks the rules are meant for someone else.

It was probably back in the 1990s that an ex-Marine in Connecticut, experienced NRA type, was showing his young children that hand guns were perfectly safe at the kitchen table. Blew his own brains out in front of them. Because he didn't take the standard safety precautions that would prevent such an accident from happening. There's a certain kind of guy who thinks the rules are meant for someone else. [/quote]

There are a lot of people out there that carry handguns on a routine basis, that think like that. :(

Back when I was a youg'in I used to drive my adoptive uncles around in the Buck Mobile road huntin,Dey always said that a loaded gun in a motor vehicle was against the law so they carried a shell in their hands, when we saw a deer I stopped the Buck Mobile and the jumped out and loaded up and blasted the deer. Safty was always on their mind.

Thaat is all.

He is darn lucky that game warden " RED MADDEN" has pasted on or he would have faced the wrath of Madden witch is almost as bad as the wrath of God

Red gave a learner's boot camp for young kids wanting to hunt at about fifteen years of age and up and let me tell you that he would make your Marine drill instructor seem like a brownie troop leader. Man was he tough and the best thing that could have happened to us young ens

Section 12D. (a) Except as exempted or provided by law,

Cant agree with putting the gun in storage,even if its supposedly very short term, with rounds in it from a safety point of veiw, but do kind of wonder if one has a permit to carry, provided one met the requirements of that permit,would this satisfy exempted,or provided by law?

Cant agree with putting the gun in storage,even if its supposedly very short term, with rounds in it from a safety point of veiw, but do kind of wonder if one has a permit to carry, provided one met the requirements of that permit,would this satisfy exempted,or provided by law?

That's always been his contention.

Transporting Guns in Motor Vehicles

CLASS “A" LTC: Allows the holder to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under their direct control. Handgun does not have to be in a locked case or container.

CLASS “B" LTC: Allows the holder to transport a non-large capacity handgun. Handgun must be unloaded and secured in a locked trunk or locked container.

www.handgunlaw.us 5

LARGE-CAPACITY RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS: No person possessing a large-capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class “A" or Class “B" permit shall possess said rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle unless unloaded and contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

NOTE: All rifles and shotguns must be unloaded when in or on a motor vehicle, but only large-capacity rifles and shotguns are subject to the storage requirement. This also applies to Muzzleloading or other Black Powder arms.

Well, thats pretty cut and dried, and no doubt the onus is on the permit holder to know the law, but it is interesting to note that the state issues a permit that clearly states right on it "Permit to carry Firearms Class A High Capacity Restrictions-None " but it doesnt really mean that.