Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cabo2005

Swift on Sunday

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I took Bernie's advice and headed over yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day but a bit chilly. Rigged up the fly rod and hit the river. Lets just say the wading was a challenge.

[img=

Didn't catch anything and only saw one caught the entire time I was there. Lots of water at the spill way.

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2549502/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Cabo

nice dude, i was there Saturday. water was super high, did mot exploring than fishing. ended up going to a little creek nearby and got a few. might go back Friday if the weather changes and the water flow drops.

First time I went there was with my Dad. I was just a little kid. It was probably late May, and we crossed the river, and there was a real nice hatch going on. We couldn't catch a thing.

I was totally engrossed in the fishing, but began to notice the water was getting colder. All of a sudden my Dad says "The water is coming up!" I couldn't cross b/c the water had risen about my hip boots, and it was inches from going over my Dad's. We both ended up getting wet, and he hung onto me b/c the icey cold water was over now over my waist.

Once back to the car we were both soaked, and had no clue what the hell just happened? We ended up asking Paul Kukonen about it, and he got a big belly laugh, and that's when he explained that they open the Windsor Dam about that time to release water. :laugh:

:laugh:

I had an almost identical experience there with my dad when I was but a wee one. Thankfully they do it on a schedule so once you know you're all set. I mostly fish the Deerfield now and it seems to happen almost every time I go :huh:

Nothing worse then crossing over to your favorite run, getting all engrossed in it only to notice when its too late that what was just knee deep is now waist deep and you gotta cross sixty feet of it before you're back on shore.... oh, and your fly box is gone because that dry rock you put it on is now trout habitat :confused: Now I keep an eye out for corn stalks and shore debris.... its the only warning sign I've been able to figure out.

Stupid fishing :D

:laugh:

I had an almost identical experience there with my dad when I was but a wee one. Thankfully they do it on a schedule so once you know you're all set. I mostly fish the Deerfield now and it seems to happen almost every time I go :huh:

Nothing worse then crossing over to your favorite run, getting all engrossed in it only to notice when its too late that what was just knee deep is now waist deep and you gotta cross sixty feet of it before you're back on shore.... oh, and your fly box is gone because that dry rock you put it on is now trout habitat :confused: Now I keep an eye out for corn stalks and shore debris.... its the only warning sign I've been able to figure out.

Stupid fishing :D

OTOH, it's pretty cool when that water level starts to drop and the fish that were pinned to the bottom suddenly start hitting like there's no tomorrow. ;)

-bd