Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valkyrie

Penn Torque? Should I Buy One?

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

Had to replace a bearing that seized p in one of my Slammers today. No big deal as I have been fishing pretty hard for a few days and they got pretty wet. I thought I rinsed them off well. Guess not but it was only an $8 part. Anyway, GF sks me if there are reels that are waerproof. I said yes but they are pricey. She said to define pricey and I said that I think the Torque reels are on the lower sie with VS andZBs running almost twice as much. SO she says to buy one as a present to myself! Lol! But now im thinking, I have found the Torque 5's on eBay under $500.

Would be nice to be able to go a few days without having to wory if my reels need servicing because I got pummeled by a big roller or I let i lip below my waist into the salt..

Should I? I mean, I should strike while the iron is hot, before she says I need to use the money for something else..

If she told you to go buy a big ticket item like that, I would get her the engagement ring now, and worry about the reel later. :)

Already woking on that!

My brother is getting married in the Domican Republic in April and I was goingto wait until his was over befoe I asked so as not to water down the occasion so to speak..

Back in the summer she wanted to buy me a custom surf rod but I told her no. Im very tempted right now, lol.

Hey, if I do buy one, it will be an excuse to squeeze another day or two out of my schedule to hit the beach, right?

I have been beating around the idea myself for the past couple of months. I finally decided that its worth it, the water proof reels provide peace of mind. Which makes the price tag easier to deal with. Drop that thing in the sand and all you have to do is rinse it off in the surf. If I drop my Conquer in the sand most likely I'll have to take it apart and clean it and maybe even re grease. Nightmare! So far I have narrowed my choices to the Zeebaas or Van Staal. I'm leaning more towards the Zeebaas simply because of the power knob handle, I hate the circle VS knob. I also hear the Zeebaas has a smoother drag. As far as the Torque goes..... I don't think they are completely sealed like the Z's and vs's. I'm assuming your fishing in the surf as you would have no need for water proof real on boat, sand sucks! I like the idea of washing the thing off in the water. Buy the service kits for the Z's and vs's and they will last forever, I don't think that Penn will. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Not taking a single thing away from the Torque, but if you are looking to spend that kind of cabbage, I have another option. Look into the new Daiwa Saltiga. Its totally sealed against the surf and is a really sweet reel for the beach. Especially when Albies are around as it is a fast reel. Anyone who chases Albies with a slow reels know that pain. The Saltiga is also an amazing boat reel too. It can handle Tuna and any striper in the ocean. Good reel, check it out. Not dissing Penn at all, but options are nice. And in sealed beach reels there are precious few around to choose from. It is worth the cash when you figure you get a top shelf reel for both beach and boat :)

As far as the Torque goes..... I don't think they are completely sealed like the Z's and vs's. I'm assuming your fishing in the surf as you would have no need for water proof real on boat, sand sucks! I like the idea of washing the thing off in the water. Buy the service kits for the Z's and vs's and they will last forever, I don't think that Penn will. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

The Torque is a completely waterproof reel. It was designed to do just that. Fish while submerged. Especially the bailless. The VS service Kit does not address some of the more important seals in the reel. Such as the Main Seal, the drag seals and the roller seal. If anything, the Torque is much easier and cheaper to service. Buy a bunch of replacement seals for it and with some basic tools it can be overhauled in minutes. With a VS, you need to fabricate special tools to access the main seal. WIth the Z they are planning on having a service kit that will have an immobilizer and a punch plate/tool to access the main seal.

Not taking a single thing away from the Torque, but if you are looking to spend that kind of cabbage, I have another option. Look into the new Daiwa Saltiga. Its totally sealed against the surf and is a really sweet reel for the beach. Especially when Albies are around as it is a fast reel. Anyone who chases Albies with a slow reels know that pain. The Saltiga is also an amazing boat reel too. It can handle Tuna and any striper in the ocean. Good reel, check it out. Not dissing Penn at all, but options are nice. And in sealed beach reels there are precious few around to choose from. It is worth the cash when you figure you get a top shelf reel for both beach and boat :)

The Saltiga is waterproof in a bucket. Fish a season with it and see how much sand you get in the magnetic fluid. Saltiga is not made for dunking in the wash.

Thats interesting. We have tested it on the beach, fishing it hard out on bar and it was totally submerged in some really silty water. A few days later we gave it to a buddy who is a charter tuna guy. He is using it on the boat without even rinsing it. We have other plans for this reel and have shot good video so far.

If it craps the bed, I will be the first to say so, but Daiwa believes it will hold up. I dont know of any real world surf test of this so we decided to try. I will keep you guys posted I guess.

If it works its pretty great news. With a very few notable exceptions surfcasters are pretty much ignored when it comes to international reel manufactures. It would be nice to have a working beach/boat reel with the toughness of the vs, zb or the torque.

BTW, sorry to hijack this thread, I just meant it to be a quick comment. I wont talk about it here any more. If there is any interest, I will start another thread as we keep fishing this reel. Apologies.:)

I bought it!

Found an unbeatable price online for a Torque 5 bailed version. The ad say a 2011 model so all the revisions to the reel should be included. Now I need a rod. I am thinking a St. Croix Legend 10' 6" 3/4-4oz.

What do you kind folks think?

I bought it!

Found an unbeatable price online for a Torque 5 bailed version. The ad say a 2011 model so all the revisions to the reel should be included. Now I need a rod. I am thinking a St. Croix Legend 10' 6" 3/4-4oz.

I think you should have gotten the Bailless. :)

As far as the Legend, that's what I'd strap it on :th:

I bought it!

Awesome Congratulations!! I think you will be happy with your purchase. Let us know how it works for you.

Now lets talk about your girl and when you should propose? I think your brothers wedding would be the perfect place to ask the questions. Any women that understands us bass fishermen need accessories just like them is a keeper in my book!! Should we put this to a poll.?