Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

OK who has done an Alaska Trip

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am planning one.  WAY too much stuff to sift through.  Who has done it?  For that matter, who wants to go?  Just me, brother (googan-he may back out), and Numbah One son so far.

How do you start sorting through the pile of info?

Steelies in the spring, then sockeyes, late June right?  The king in the fall.

Don't care much about ling or halibut other than what looks like a beautiful ride on the water.

Inland for Grayling, anyone ever done that?  Fly preffered, but I ain't no fly nerd.

Whaddya got?

Gulkana River, Kings and reds Fourth of July. Plenty of guides do float trips or you can combat fish with the masses and still do pretty well. as far as Grayling, the Chena River in Fairbanks is catch and release only and is one of the worlds best grayling fisheries. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, The Chena flow's right through the base. I have caught grayling up to 21 inches on the fly rod. If your going to fish the highway system, get a book called The Highway Angler: Fishing Alaska's Road System. It will tell you where and when to catch every available species of fish from the Alaska Highway system (there are only 7 major highways in the state). That book helped me to my salmon grandslam, and helped me to find some awsome rainbows. Let me know if you need som more info,

I'll dig through my notes or make a phone call (My friend is a Fish and Wildlife Trooper). The most important piece of info I can give you is to read and know the regulations!!!!! Notice the exclamation points. I witnessed a few horror stories and almost had one of my own ( I forgot to wright down that I harvested a king on my salmon stamp and started fishing again, luckily the Trooper was in a good mood when he checked my license. Good Planning, Kris

700Kenai Peninsula! I went in early June both the Kenai and Kasilof (Kenai for trout Kasilof for Kings) Got rainbows to 8 lbs (an off day) and we put three Kings in the boat and released two on the Kasilof (Biggest 30 something pounds)- Both were float trips and there are literally a hundred of guides to choose from. (My guide was Chris Cravens - But I think he is a full time fire fighter in Anchorage now) We also spent two days fishing for halibut and trolling up BIG kings in Kachemak bay - Loved it. trip of my life.

The tip here is Kenai Peninsula - Its wicked good. This pic is Kachemak bay

I went up there in july back in 97, it was awesome, I was up in quinhagak AK, Kanektok River Safaris, inc, had an awesome trip, caught kings,silvers, chums, rainbows, artic grayling, dolly vardens, had an unbelievable time, had the whole river to ourselves for 7 days, no one else but else, there was 8 of us total, if you need anymore info shoot me a pm and we can chat,

Deneki Outdoors runs a few great fly fishing lodges. Alaska West is obviously their operation in Alaska. I've known a few people who've gone and none regretted in.

Their website has great articles about the fishing they do, and they have an article on what they fish for during specific parts of their season. It's expensive, but whatt good guided experience isn't?

Check out their site and give them a call if it looks good. They love to talk fishing and will walk you through your trip planning. Book early as slots can fill up fast. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Aniak river lodge been twice going again this summer for silvers, There is only one lodge on the river. The are some guys that float it but you you probally won't see them. You fish out of flat bottom jet boats f as well as wading some spots as well the guides will do what you ask. If you want pics let me know. The owner of the lodge doesn't run and ads in the mags just a few fly shows and he is usally booked up pretty good by word of mouth. they do have a web site WWW.AniakRiverLodge.com check out 2010 you should see a young kid holding a big old Pike caught on his 9 weight if I remember right 46 inches or so his cousin did well as well. drop me a PM if you want more info.

AppleMark<br />  <br />

Aniak River Tent Camp,, look up their website for aniakriverlodge com

The season is coming up and anyone who has desired to fish Alaska in a real remote location with all the comforts of home, this is the place. they have hot water, great fishing, the only ones on the river, great guides, and lots and lots of fishing fun. their season starts in late June and goes to late August. 

Like the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. They book up early since they only take small groups. So if your looking for a fishing adventure with the family or friends, this is the place. couples, kids are welcome there,, they have a great time...

i was recommended Rainbow Bend Lodge on the naknek river . a week self guided was 2500 bucks. guided - Rainbow River lodge on the Copper river.

I was due to go this August with a bunch of guys until I lost my job and moved to the Cayman.