Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Master Debaiter

Where do i start ?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Tying flies seems something i might enjoy...don't know where to start. Should i buy a book, DVD, tying station or what. Are there classes ? I mostly fish salt water so that would be my first attemp at a fly. Any advice would help...Thanks

P.S. How much should a newbie budget for a nice station and supplies?

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly-tying. Books and DVDs are a good place to start (I am self-taught and learned from books). But, everyone learns differently. It may be that you need to see the process, like in a DVD or YouTube video...or have someone demonstrate for you. Yes, there are classes (I teach). Check your local fly shop to see if they have them.

Saltwater is a great place for the beginning tyer. There are many simple, effective patterns that you can learn and catch on (like Ray's Fly, just to name one).

As a beginner, you don't need the world's fanciest, most expensive vise (I tie on a vise that I bought for under $15 back in the 70s). Stay away from kits, as they often give you stuff you don't need. You can probably find a good used vise at your local fly shop or online (search this forum for recommendations). You'll need some basic tools like a bobbin (it holds your thread), and scissors.

Taking Ray's Fly as an example, you'd need three different color bucktails, some body braid, some flash, some thread, some hooks, and some peacock herl. Depending on the source, you're talking 30-45 dollars. That could keep in you flies for a long time.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :-)

Steve

MD - There are several highly informative threads lingering in this forum that address this very question. One of the most detailed responses I have ever seen to this very question was from SOL'er Peregrines. Try a search using the advanced search function of this website and I know you will not be disappointed.

Offering some advice on the matter without covering everything you would need to know (Peregrines does this nicely) - Choose one basic fly pattern that you want to learn and buy all of the tying materials to tie that one pattern in perhaps one or tow colors. Tie this pattern over and over until you get it right, learn basics (e.g., like thread control and handling materials) and then move on to a second pattern. Repeat. Proceeding in this manner will prevent you from buying extraneous materials while simultaneously improving your knowledge base on tying techniques. Everything will build upon itself.

Good luck, welcome to SOL. I look forward to seeing your tying progress.

I agree with everything said, the one fly idea being a great start. My choice now would be starting with a synthetic fiber, such as slinky fiber, EP fiber, super hair, etc. as they are easier to work with than deer hair and feathers for a beginner. Don't tie a stockpile of the same fly before fishing it as in the water is where you see your mistakes like too much material, rides on its side, etc. Enjoy and keep telling yourself you are saving money, LOL....

If your intent is to tie for saltwater I wouls start off with tying Clousers, Deceivers and Bangers. You can catch 90% of the fishing on them.

I would get a pack of strung whtie feathres, packe of medium size dumbell eyes, a white bucktail, a chartreuse bucktail, silver krystal flasah or pearl flashabou, 25 pack of Mustad 34007 1/0's, White and Red Danvile Flat Waxed Nylon and some Sally Hansons Hard As Nails. That will get you Clousers and Deceivers and a bunch of other flies. Check out some of the sites that have tying instruction like www.ASWF.info.

Good Luck

Brad

If you've fished saltwater and now desire to fly fish/tie I'd start elementary like most have said.

Are you really going to like it? You could spend alot getting started and not use the equipment/materiels anymore?

In you case a white bucktail, thread, bobbin holder, cheap bench vise may be all you need.

Replace some of your old plug skirts. Tie up some swish hooks to replace the trebles with bucktail just to see if the interest is there.

Great advice so far. I agree 100% in starting with a basic pattern like a ray's fly or clouser or wooly worm and building from there. Get a vise, some basic tools, thread, hooks and a few bucktails and go for it!

Clubs are great if there is one near you. Try to find a friend who can get you started with the basics. If that doesn't work try you tube. Also check out ASWF.org from some great videos!

Ask questions as you have them, and good luck!

Alan