Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sethATC

NJ I NEED HELP!!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

I heard a saying once, "10% of those who fish catch 90% of the fish". well, at the rate Im going im on the verge of almost giving up all together. I absolutely love fishing. i discovered it maybe 5-6 years ago and dove in head first. starting out I caught one schoolie and a few fluke maybe 4 years ago. bluefish off a party boat, nothing since. not even a bump, bite, snag, nothing. and the worst part is I know so much more about fishing than i did a few years ago as far as proper gear, spots to fish, techniques etc. i live in nutley, nj. i fish anywhere from Bradley Beach, avon-by-the-sea, shark river inlet. where they have a lot of jetties down to IBSP. driving that distance and coming home with nothing to show for it hurts sometimes lol. ill give u a rundown of my gear, places i go, bait i use and times i go.

gear: 8' jarvis walker 3/4-2 1/5 oz combo, 30lb braid

9' jarvis walker 1-3oz combo, 40lb braid

10' okuma centura 3-8oz combo for bait. 40lb braid backed w/ mono w/ a 40lb mono shock leader. i switched to braid maybe a year ago. i like how it casts but its difficult to work with plus get a lot of wind knots. i take up slack before i reel in. i go to betty and nicks bait and tackle when i go to IBSP for fresh bunker, mullet when they're running, fresh clams etc. Ive even tried eels once as a long shot even though i never used em before. no luck at all. i tie my own rigs, hi lows for clams, fish finders for bunker. am i suppose to let the bait sit on the bottom w/ a fish finder?? am i suppose to add a cigar float to keep it off the bottom?? ill dead stick if im bait fishing. should i be holding my rod, waiting? what time of year should i use clams vs bunker??

i thought maybe ill buy a few plugs, no bait needed just a bag and a little skill right?? wrong. for the most part i somewhat understand the action required for some of the lures but im obviously not presenting it properly.

lures: two 6 1/2" tsnunami needlefish olive/white & smoke/grey,white. 4 1/2" yellow pencil popper, 4" stubby bullet needlefish, four different bomber long A's, two AVA 27's w/ green trailer and yellow trailer, one AVA 17 w/ red orange trailer. hopkins w/ red/white bucktail. spro bucktails sand eel color pattern w/ curly tail grub, also bunker color w/ firetail worm. glitter blue/white bottle popper atoms i think. i had two metal lips but lost em during a cast, damn angler clip lol!

bought some teasers. not even sure if im using right colors etc. i have chartreuse teasers and a yellowish color teasers. attached to about 12" leader w/ surgeons loop knot attached to same swivel as plug leader. all of which is attached to mainline w/ a angler clip. they ARE much easier since i have giant fingers but ive lost a few lures since using them not sure why, had nothing to do w/ bail prematurely closing on me.

i fish as much as i possibly can even though i know its not enough. i live further away from the beach than you pro's which makes it difficult. ill keep an eye on the tides to try to get down there at the right time although a lot of time it doesnt happen w/o a hassle. i was never able to fish the fall until this year because i never had waders. i recently bought hodgeman breathable bootfoot waders which gave me a bit more access throughout the year. additionally i bought korkers for jetties which work great! but they only help u stay alive on the jetties, they dont help you catch fish lol.

times i go are anytime. ill head out in the middle of the night, mid day, mid day into the night. its painful to be on the beach all day and have nothing to show for it. i truly need help! i havent even hit blues on a party boat the last 4 times! now that is just pathetic! i need a friend to fish with, a guide, a miracle, SOMETHING!!! ANYTHING!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! IM ALMOST WILLING TO SELL VITAL PARTS OF MY ANATOMY TO START HOOKING INTO SOME FISH.

are they landing in the water??  i have about a billion gallons of ocean in front of me when i fish.....yeah, oddly enough i think they do, in fact, land in the water.  thanks for the great piece of advice.

Hang in there, it will all come together sooner or later. Get the Avas or Hopkins out over the bar. Try different retreives. Use a dropped loop for your teaser and no clip. Good Luck.

-Mike

are they landing in the water??  i have about a billion gallons of ocean in front of me when i fish.....yeah, oddly enough i think they do, in fact, land in the water.

They may be landing in the water, but how deep is it? You may be throwing into 6" of water over a sandbar.

Hardly an expert, but here's whats worked for me this year.

Try to check out the places you fish at low tide, check out the sandbars/structure

I've had better luck fishing closer to low tides, when I can walk further out on these sandbars. This puts my cast into deeper water on the other side of the bar.

I went from a 9' to an 11' to get greater distance on the casts.

Majority of the fish I caught, or saw caught, were out a distance, nothing seemed to be caught in close.

If you, and nobody nearby, is catching anything, there just may be no fish in that area.

If you aren't catching, and everyone else around you is, then you need talk to/watch the others and see whats being done differently.

no clip??  so tie mono leader directly to the braided main line w/ an albright knot? i assumed w/ a clip its easier its easier to switch leaders or whatnot if you get snagged around jetties or get bit off for some reason...although they have to be biting your bait/lure first in order to get bit off haha...

Welcome to the site. There are some great people here. Even more important, there are some great posts and threads by those people. Use the search feature, read, read, read, and learn exactly what questions you really need to ask. A few things:

Find the post by Poppy (AKA Rumblefish) on reading the water. Moving a few feet in one direction can be huge.

Pick up a few books. Tons of books on striper fishing out there and this is the time of year to do some reading.

Consider a class. IBSP offers a very basic sirf fishing class in the summer. It got me started and showed what I was doing rong with some pretty basic stuff.

Come out and meet some people. We have a Food Fling in early March that is a good chance to do this. I've had the pleasure of fishing next to some of those peoplea and have learned from them. I've had ecen more pleasure in passign that stuff on to others.

It'll happen bud. You work at it, struggle, get frustrated, try some more, and then......Whammo! You get a great day with a consistent bite and multiple fish. You're an instant sharpie and ready to enter tournament, write a book, etc. :)

The next time you go you get skunked again and it shrinks your head down nicely.

ok, yeah thats what i do. except i looped the surgeons loop through the clip instead of dropper loop.  is it a good idea to fish teasers around jetties??

Just a thought, It wouldn't hurt you to hire a guide.

A few hours with a good experienced surfcaster wouldn't be a waste of money.

At the very least, it can speed up your learning curve and maybe spot any problems you might be having besides no fish in a given area.

Remember you'll always be learning in this sport. Some have the luxury of living near the water and can observe tide changes, spot bait, watch birds etc day in, day out.

Being far from the water, some experienced instruction can make up for the distance.

Keep at it and learn to read the water. passiton gave some spot on advice.

Its hard and takes time to understand.

Realize every place is different.

This sport is one big learning curve that keeps going and going and going ...

I think you're on the verge of a break through and not a break down.

Right now with this quick temperature drop it will become more difficult even for the most wily crafty seasoned guys. So don't base your self opinions on today's fishing. I wish you posted this up 6 weeks ago and up to just a few days ago with the strong Fall Run we've had many of us would've invited you along... I for just the simple scene of seeing someone who's been trying with some basic knowledge putting it together with maybe some simple pointers.

Though fish have been all over along our coast it is my humble belief that IBSP (and other nearby spots) for a good stretch was the epicenter of quality steady action.Even at these strongly productive areas first light has been the best catching times,(some nights) though there were days they hung in tight all day through all tides. It may have simply been your timing.

We have a few (too many) months till Spring... get several weighted snagging bunker rigs ready with a 10' rod/reel combo.

a van staal??? lol thats funny, trust me if i could afford anything near that price ide have one already, im like a woman w/ shoes when it comes to fishing!

and ive definately thought of hiring a guide.  i looked up shore catch guide service.  they seem to be the foremost authority on fishing the nj coast boat and surf ya know.  if i could pick the brain of Shell E. Caris  that would be awesome!