Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naishu

Colton and Bob Filger

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

smile.gif  Hi folks. I'm new to posting on this site but I've lurked for quite a while. I've been fly fishing for over 40 years, so I've  had plenty of experience dealing with lots of tackle companies. I recently had a good experience with a tackle company and this website had a lot to do with it. Most of my fly fishing has been in fresh water but I have often taken my heavy stuff to the Jersey Shore and Florida. I've never owned any saltwater specific tackle. That changed recently.  For a variety of reasons, I decided to buy a saltwater outfit. I read a lot of opinions and reviews on this site (and others.) However, the reviews on this site convinced me to look at Colton tackle. When I saw that they had a sale going on I ordered a Tradewinds 10wt and a Torrent 911 reel and spool. I'm really impressed with the rod and reel but I had one problem with the reel. The reel was set up for a left handed retrieve and I always retrieve right handed. I thought I figured out how to change the retrieve but I didn't want to take the chance at messing up a brand new gorgeous reel. I emailed Colton at 10:58pm last night and Bob Filger emailed the instructions to me at 11:10PM. I was hoping to hear back from Colton some time this week.  I never expected a reply from the owner of the company in 12 minutes. You guys said that Colton had great customer service but in 40 years I've never experienced this level of service from any tackle company. Colton may well have a new customer for life. I just wanted to let you guys know about it. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, this is a great site. I hope to start contributing soon. 

That's the kind of guy Bob is. He's one of the most enthusiastic fisherman/company owners I have ever talked to. Bob is always willing to spend time with you on the telephone to answer your questions. Best customer service out there!!

Dan

P.S. I bought 2 Torrent 911's earlier this year and I love them.

I also had occasion to speak to Bob re my new 911 reel - which I think is a very nice addition to my reel collection. very well made and the precision with which it is put together is amazing.

But back to Bob's support - he is obviously consumed by this sport and his enthusiasm shows is his commitment to provide the best product possible.

I highly recommend the 911. BTW - the fact that Bob's reels employ bushings i/o bearings should not be lost on anyone considering a fly reel. Bearings ultimately go bad - bushing are much more reliable. Once I realized that the Torrents only had a bushing I was all over it.

Regards, Herb

There is at least one other. Although it is not 11 yet, it is Sunday night and I think I finally figured out an email address from a garbled phone massage from Australia left at 2 AM today. Bighorn did not go through but I finally realized if I got a list of Ausie internet providers, maybe I could figure it out. There is a bigpond and it went through with his email.

Although I don't ship to anywhere but the US and Canada, it is just common courtesy to return emails even if it is not good news, and good business practice.

I did take a call once when working very late on a machine breakdown and it turned out to be someone with an extremely, extremely severe speech impediment calling, probably wanting to leave a message on a machine.

We did get through his name, address and card # but it took a loooooong time and I felt really bad about it. I don't answer midnight calls anymore unless it's a number I recognize.

But neither courtesy nor logical answers from Corporate "Customer Service" are very common anymore. Thank cod for small businesses.

Herb,

Interesting that someone else likes bushings over bearings for certain applications. I too like bushings . They are not only less prone to failure, but also have huge surface area in contact with the spindle and add support to the spindle. In fact I threw out the factory spindles on a 20 spindle drilling and tapping machine because metal chips kept eating up the bearings and I machined new ones to fit bronze bushings. I also threw out the linear ball bearings on both heads and machined bushings of bearing bronze for the same reason. No more problems, and a tighter machine.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

There must be something wrong with us who appreciate the "sucking" sound when installing a spool onto of a well lubed, tight fitting bushed fly reel.

Same security I feel with a full refrigerator - grew-up after the depression :).

Herb

Nothing wrong with us Old folk who can distiguish between whats just glitter and what is the real deal. I too am a big fan of bush bearings for a lot of applications. The ball races in my Abel just literally fell apart. VS don't use ball races. I still have bush bearings in my some of ABU's ok they do not cast as far as good races but they feel nice and they are smooth.They also let you know when they are worn as the spool starts to wobble a bit.

Ah well at our age Guys we shall soon be an extinct species.:D

Mike

AKA Old Git (Miserable is optional)

Hi Oakie,

Yes that Torrent you let me touch briefly is a nice reel. Now when funds alow I will more than likely contact Bob and get one. My current reel needs way too much TLC to keep going in the surf. I have issues with the spindle coming lose and its a bummer when you buy two complete reels and 4 spare spools and realise that the whole lot could be trash if I can't resolve the spindle issue which will need a very expensive visit to a machine shop. My reel is no longer in production after very few years. typical of overeseas products. But you learn by experience.

Mike

Hi Oakie,

Yes that Torrent you let me touch briefly is a nice reel. Now when funds alow I will more than likely contact Bob and get one. My current reel needs way too much TLC to keep going in the surf. I have issues with the spindle coming lose and its a bummer when you buy two complete reels and 4 spare spools and realise that the whole lot could be trash if I can't resolve the spindle issue which will need a very expensive visit to a machine shop. My reel is no longer in production after very few years. typical of overeseas products. But you learn by experience.

Mike

Well if you get a Torrent, it'll still be made "overseas". . . just the other direction :D

Gonna hijack a little here, how was the Irish fishing?

Apologies to the op.

Oakie,

I don't count over the Pond as overseas. It is my other home.

Ireland was as tactile as you could wish for. 40 to 70 MPH W and SW winds. Massive surfs with lots of suspended sand. Impossible to stand up some days on the beach. 8 Days saw me catching just 15 Bass, best all of 3lbs on bait. But we had a great time. Leave this saturday at 02:45 for two more weeks on the Dingle Peninsular for more of the same. Best way I know to spend Xmas.

My turn to appologise now to OP.

Mike

Ditto on the great service by Bob Filger. I bought a CRGII & did have some delivery issues which Bob more than rectified. I was really surprised that he went so far out of his way. The reel is outstanding too. The guys I deal with at Orvis were blown away by it.

Bob does like to talk fishing & business so be ready to spend some time on the phone!

All the best ..Manny