Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mojo7

Paint Thinning

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've been painting with rattle cans and I recently got a Paasche airbrush. When I got my createx paint from Bear Air I was told that with the airbrush I had I would not have to thin the paint. While trying to prime my plugs today the brush was very choppy it would spray for a few seconds then stop and just blow air. If I stopped spraying for a second or two it would start working again. I was using the #5 tip and tried pressures from 40-55 lbs as I was told from the place I got my paint. I've done a search on the forum and found a bunch of different opinions and ways of thinning the paint. I went to a few different craft stores today with no luck finding thinner. Can I use regular latex paint thinner? Which is the best easiest way of thinning paint. I assume the paint not being thinned is my problem?:confused:

Mojo,

I use a lot of createx paint and it does need to be thinned IMHO. Some colors need more than others, I usually reduce 33-50%. I spray at 30-35 psi.

Here is a recipe someone sent to me for a homebrew reducer/thinner. it has worked extremely well for me.

3 parts distilled water

1 part denatured alcohol

1 part windex (ammonia free)

6-10 drops glycerin

I'm sure a number of people will weigh in on this, everyone has the system they are comfortable with and there are many different approaches. I have a lot of createx paints as I am fairly new to this, but at the same time when they are used up, i will replace them with other options. IMHO golden makes a far superior product, the amount, size and consistency of the pigments used makes a huge difference in how well a paint will spray and how much it can be reduced. Golden is more expensive, but better than stroking out when you can't seem to get a consistent system down because of inconsistent product.

Another tip is hoark some old nylons from you significant other and cut a piece of it and stretch it over each paint top and replace the cap. This will filter/ strain any of the larger clumps and save you a lot of headaches.

Best of luck,

MS

Mojo,

I use a lot of createx paint and it does need to be thinned IMHO. Some colors need more than others, I usually reduce 33-50%. I spray at 30-35 psi.

Here is a recipe someone sent to me for a homebrew reducer/thinner. it has worked extremely well for me.

3 parts distilled water

1 part denatured alcohol

6-10 drops glycerin

I'm sure a number of people will weigh in on this, everyone has the system they are comfortable with and there are many different approaches. I have a lot of createx paints as I am fairly new to this, but at the same time when they are used up, i will replace them with other options. IMHO golden makes a far superior product, the amount, size and consistency of the pigments used makes a huge difference in how well a paint will spray and how much it can be reduced. Golden is more expensive, buy better than stroking out when you can't seem to get a consistent system down because of inconsistent product.

Another tip is hoark some old nylons from you significant other and cut a piece of it and stretch it over each paint top and replace the cap. This will filter/ strain any of the larger clumps and save you a lot of headaches.

Best of luck,

MS

MS

Thanks. Where do I get glycerin?

When I got my paint I bought the adapter to go on the bottle to attach it right to the airbrush. Would I be better off straining it to one of the bottles the kit came with?

Mojo,

No problem. Glycerin can be purchased at Wallgreens / CVS. I would strain the paint into an empty createx bottle with the necessary reducing agent, and use that. I know how handy that adapter is, especially for laying down base coat.

good luck!

MS

Note that Muskyslayer96 uses Denatured Alcohol not Rubbing Alcohol or Isopropanol. They are not the same. You can get DNA at homies or lowies in the paint section near the paint thinners.

How much createx are you planning on painting?? I'd start with making a quart of total mix. Then you can use the ratios to determine how much of each component. You always knew that math and science class was going to be of some use someday didn't you. ;) When you add enough thinner (some call it reducer too) to get the paint to a skim milk consistancy that should be enough. Like muskey says it should take about 30 to 50%. A quart shouild last you through several bottles of createx.

Mojo,

3 parts distilled water

1 part denatured alcohol

6-10 drops glycerin

I'm sure a number of people will weigh in on this, everyone has the system they are comfortable with and there are many different approaches. I have a lot of createx paints as I am fairly new to this, but at the same time when they are used up, i will replace them with other options. IMHO golden makes a far superior product, the amount, size and consistency of the pigments used makes a huge difference in how well a paint will spray and how much it can be reduced. Golden is more expensive, but better than stroking out when you can't seem to get a consistent system down because of inconsistent product.

Best of luck,

MS

MS I've mixed up a batch of this reducer and it has a blue tint to it will that be a problem with lighter colored paints?

The blue tint probably came from Windex or whatever window cleaner fluid you got. It probably won't make a tint shift to dark colors but it might in trying to get a pure white. Try going to your local auto parts place and see if they carry Eagle One 20/20 Auto Glass cleaner. It has no blue dye in it. Maybe they have another brand that is clear. Try also to get one that has no addatives like ammonia or streak free agents. Ammonia can eat up the chrome on an airbrush if left on or in the brush over time and the airbrush is a cheap one. (Chrome is expensive so the cheapies don't put much on to keep cost down).

Also do a search on this forum for 'Createx thinning'. Also on internet. Remember that the search function is your friend.