Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonFrum

Another Hunter Shot By Dog

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

At least it's not the same dog: :D

By msnbc.com staff

It's happened again: A hunting dog has shot its master.

This time, a man in Florida was hit in the thigh by a round from his Remington .308 on Saturday, TBO.com reported.

The culprit was a bulldog named Eli. Authorities told TBO.com that Billy E. Brown, 78, was driving to go deer hunting with a friend on a bumpy road in Pasco County near Tampa when Eli "got excited in the truck" and bumped the rifle. The bullet hit Brown in the right thigh, and he was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, said Officer George Wells, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Brown's condition was not released.

Wells said Brown and the friend were about one-and-a-half miles into the woods when the accident -- if you're buying that the dog didn't mean to do that -- occurred.

The name of Brown's friend was not released. The two have been hunting together for more than 25 years, Wells told TBO.com.

This incident follows one Dec. 1 in which a hunter in Utah was hit in the buttocks by birdshot after his dog stepped on a shotgun laid across the bow of a boat. The Salt Lake City Tribune said the wounded hunter had 27 pellets removed from ... well, you know.

You know, I completely believe this can happen. :dismay:

In all my years of bird hunting over dogs, I've seen hunters lay a loaded gun on the ground countless times to take a dead bird from their dog. While this is going on, I've seen the dogs walk and jump all over the loaded, unattended gun, and it always freaks me out!:shock:

In all my years of bird hunting over dogs, I've seen hunters lay a loaded gun on the ground countless times to take a dead bird from their dog. While this is going on, I've seen the dogs walk and jump all over the loaded, unattended gun, and it always freaks me out!:shock:

This is why I don't hunt. Killing animals doesn't bother me, and I love to get outside in nature, but I don't trust my fellow man enough to go out in the woods where boneheads are mishandling loaded firearms. My dad almost had his head blown off by a good friend who tripped on an exposed root.

This actually happened to me - the gun went off and missed my brothers ankle by inches -- never ever leave a loaded gun on the ground... If it would have hit he would have lost his foot for sure... Gun Safety is a must and from what I see out there a lot just think guns are fun. :(

Tper

Aren't the safety's on? The gun should always be on safe until you're ready to shoot !!!!! I wouldn't hunt with anyone who keeps his gun off of safe.

:laugh: You'd be amazed at just how many guys hunt with the safety off! Bob, recall the old Swedish guy who used to hunt with Kenny and I (he's been dead for about 12 years)? I was with him on two occasions when his gun accidentally discharged b/c he always hunted with the safety off.:scared:

Another time (same guy) brings his new 12 ga into his club (I think you may have actually been there) to show it to everyone. Club is packed, everyone handling the gun, swinging it around, when someone pulls back the action, and out comes an unspent round! The looks on their collective faces was priceless.

:laugh: You'd be amazed at just how many guys hunt with the safety off!......

I'm guessing a large percentage of these people do not use seatbelts either.

:laugh: You'd be amazed at just how many guys hunt with the safety off! Bob, recall the old Swedish guy who used to hunt with Kenny and I (he's been dead for about 12 years)? I was with him on two occasions when his gun accidentally discharged b/c he always hunted with the safety off.:scared:

Another time (same guy) brings his new 12 ga into his club (I think you may have actually been there) to show it to everyone. Club is packed, everyone handling the gun, swinging it around, when someone pulls back the action, and out comes an unspent round! The looks on their collective faces was priceless.

I hope he was promptly removed from the club for that.

Yeah, you can't trust the safety. One time in a duck blind a buddy of mine laid his gun unattended and it fell. The ground was plywood and gun hit the ground hard. Pointing in my direction. THAT time the safety was working the gun did not go off. (It was a Mossberg pump with the thumb safety.) I have not hunted with him since.

Also another year we had a dog knock over a gun in a goose blind in RI. Anyone who has hunted those blinds know that they are lined with concrete and shot can go all over the place causing some damage. The gun was not loaded yet.

These events can and DO happen more often than people think.

Stay safe guys

Wow. I'd never hunt with these Bozos. Rule #1 is safety. Rule #2 is safety. Always have your loaded weapon under your control, and pointed in a safe direction. Never rely on a mechanical device (the safety) when it's failure could literally mean death.

One benefit of the deer population shifting eastward is the nimrods that used to come out this way have better hunting near home now. I saw a grand total of one other hunter during the whole 2 week shotgun season.

It's still one of the safest sports out there. More deaths in fishing accidents then hunting accidents.

Wow. I'd never hunt with these Bozos. Rule #1 is safety. Rule #2 is safety. Always have your loaded weapon under your control, and pointed in a safe direction. Never rely on a mechanical device (the safety) when it's failure could literally mean death.

One benefit of the deer population shifting eastward is the nimrods that used to come out this way have better hunting near home now. I saw a grand total of one other hunter during the whole 2 week shotgun season.

It's still one of the safest sports out there. More deaths in fishing accidents then hunting accidents.

Fall bird hunting is still pretty popular. But, I can't believe how few guys hunt turkey as compared to 20 years ago. :shock: I began turkey hunting in Ma in 1985, and at times it was nearly impossible to call birds without calling in other hunters. Occasionally, two at a time from different directions. :dismay:

The last two spring tom seasons, I've yet to see another hunter in the woods.