Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Still bass and blues to our neighboring state to the south/west - 12/10

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Not a whole lot...I did land one fair schoolie of about 20 inches and saw a couple of bluefish and one other bass caught (the guy measured it and said it was 28" - but I was a bit skeptical about that)....but the water was absoutely filled with 10" herring (the sea herring variety with the more narrow, almost ribbon like profile)...I didn't realize those things eat soft plastics...of about 5 landed, 3 had the lure it its mouth...of course I was using small, 3" soft plastics...these herring kept fooling me at the beginning of the trip because with the vast numbers of them, the line or lure was constantly getting bumped by them...in fact, the couple that I did snag was the result of me trying to set the hook after a 'bite'...LOL

Once again (as was the case last week), I was about an hour or two late of an 'epic' bluefish blitz...

PS - I didn't have any on hand, but Im guessing a 7 1/2" or 9" sluggo fished weedless/weightless may have done a better job catching - fish were there in better numbers than what was being caught (we were all using small stuff)...although most of the surface action was birds diving under to chase the herring, at least a dozen times in three hours I saw definitive stripes on a silver flank hitting right near the jetty.

The guy who caught the so called 'keeper' was using a lure and caught a herring - to which he then chucked that out in the water...it got hit right away and was bit in half by a bluefish....he continued to fish with it anyway and caught that bass about 5 minutes later...this is why I think the right lure/presentation would've worked better

I was tempted to do the same thing (these are not the 'illegal' herring...and I'm even sure the 'illegal' herring are 'illegal' in RI regardless)...but I'm trying to stick to my guns regarding an all artificial approach

What are you going for really? Cod?

I couldn't bring myself to go out in weather this cold..... :o

I am surprised there is still blue this late in the season. Don't they like warm waters?

I highly doubt any blue fish in our water this time of year.They like really warm water.

Bluefish can be caught in water as low as 48 or so degrees...........

I believe parts of SoCo are still above 50, although the last couple of days may have lowered that a bit.

I highly doubt any blue fish in our water this time of year.They like really warm water.

Bluefish can be caught in water as low as 48 or so degrees...........

I believe parts of SoCo are still above 50, although the last couple of days may have lowered that a bit.

I will take your word for it.Too cold for me,i am getting old.

I would DEFINITELY be out there if I knew they were still around. I was actually fly fishing up in Maine this past weekend, had a great time chasing searun browns. Little whiskey and high spirits will warm ya right up!