Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
popper_one

Last cast roosterfish

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

After loosing a decent size jack in the surf, thanks to the "legal poachers" with castnets, I went to the marina to check on my friends..

I was leaving already and something in my head made me turn around a give it a shot.

At the third cast of the Half'n'Half I felt like I got stuck in the rocks...in a few seconds I realized it wasn't so ; )

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2545625/width/480/height/640]

Very ihteresting the way it hit the fly and the way it fought..different than in the surf1

Picture is poor, but once weighted it was pushing 20 lbs.

Even though I am firm believer of catch and release, I am not an extremist and I did sacrifice this one for the table.

Roosterfish is not bad eating as they want you to believe.

Ciao,

Emilio

(*edited - please do not promote your business here - TimS)

"Ring me up" and we'll get it done! ; )

I'll be in Pedregal for Christmas.SIL lives there. Hopefully fishing the beach that morning. That will be a first for me, fishing on Christmas morning.

Cabo

Yes, that's wahat I've been doing since I can remember...hitting the water on Xmas morning.

Not this yera, shoot

We'll be in Mexico City for the week ( @ the inlaws...).

Guess where I'd rather be ? HAHAHA!

I'll be back on the 2nd.

Ciao,

Emilio

FWIW, if you're complaining about "legal poachers" what good does it do by keeper a rooster yourself?

The truth is Im both alegal and illegal poacher, if you know what I mean :)

BUT

Arent there other fish to eat?

Hi,

very simply..by "legal poachers" I refer to the locals who fish with castnets; nothing wrong with it untill you do not fill buckeys with juvenile roosters, jacks and snook

( and when I say juvenile I mean anything between 6 and 12 inches...).

Yes, there are other fish to eat but here comes the "dilemma"... jacks taste like fishmeal, snooks aren't that common, I am sick of sierra macks ... a decent size rooster, tired from the fight and all, gives me more than a dozen good serving of prime meat.

The flavour is actually nice, almost like tuna or yellowtail but got to be cooked through otherwiese it would be really sinewy, tough.

I tried it raw and "shaved" and it' just like BFTuna; as a cook I would not make tataki or any preparation that involves barely searing it or serving it less than meium well though.

Ii am glad you're interested in this... by the way ,in 5 years this is only the second rooster I killed.

Don' t forget to give me a buzz if you're coming down my way...

Ciao and Petri Heil,

Emilio ; )