Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tailslap

Catch and Release in Canal for spring run

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

Just wondering what people think of the idea of bass being catch and release in the Canal for the months of May and June. I have seen quite the slaughter of big bass in the Canal the past few years during the spring run. No need for all those big breeders to be taken out of the population every year as they bottleneck through the Canal. This is not going to become a law and is not why I am mentioning the idea of catch and release for the spring run through the Canal. As we have seen the people in charge of the fisheries aren,t going to do anything so it might be time for us to do some helping on our own. My idea may seem crazy to some but it would not stop someone for keeping some bass for the table throughout the season and it would not affect the commercial season at all. Some self imposed limits is what we can all do today or tomorrow without waiting for action from others which might not be coming at all. Just something to think about.......It is the off season after all.

I wish, but it ain't happening. Nor should it, really.

Then again, is the canal considered "Federal Water" ? If so, then since keeping striped bass in federal water is prohibited you might have a case.

I personaly love the taste of stripers. Way to much. Better than lobster. Let me count the ways. Fish chowder yum. Fried fish even better. Baked with potatos and tomatos mmmmmm. Seafood stuffing on top of striper, wowzers. Cooked like a fried egg for breakefast with a little butter, holy moly. Catch and release after i catch one for the table. ok. Too many ways to eat it and not enough days to keep it. Its short season and i do need to fill my freezer. Dont hate appreciate.

to me if you have to freeze it then your wasting the fish,its no longer "fresh fish"once frozen.I will be letting most of my fish go next year esp the big ones.I would much rather eat sea bass,tau tog,or fluke and its easy enough to catch any of those.

Buy yourself a vacuum packer and you'll feel differently about frozen seafood, or any food in fact.

I've been thinking of trying one of those. Bass isn't my favorite but I do like it fresh, once frozen I'm not interested.

That's really the reason I rarely keep one, not going to fill the freezer with something I won't use.

Back to the Thread. I think most of us here are probably already doing what you say, maybe a few exceptions.

A change in the Laws is really the only answer, it's very hard to criticize a man who is acting within the Regulations.

Personally I have a never ending need to mind my own business so unless there's a blatant abuse of the reg's I just move along and do my own thing.

The first couple years I fished the Canal I thought it was such an exceptional fishery, that it probably deserved special treatment in the regulations.

This summer has me rethinking that...:squid:

Who's gonna tell various local shops that have tournaments during May and June that The Canal is off limits, or is now catch and release only? The folks from OTW might want to know too so they can inform anglers that canal bass must be released after official Striper Cup weigh in.

It's funny because although I don't know what the law is down there now, but the Potomac River stripers used to be managed in very much a similar fashion...absolutely no take during the spring run (in which there were huge numbers), then for the remainder of the year, if you were lucky enough to catch one, you could keep it...and at a ridiculously small size to boot...but that was almost moot since you're not going to see many up in the DC area at other times of the year

While the complete closure during the spring run part of that would work here, we would still have to manage the rest of the season as well since you're way more likely to catch fish right through to November here in NE (and when I say that, I know the Ches. Bay and tribs is generally fishable for longer portions of the season, I'm specifically talking about the Wash DC metropolitan area...up there, it's spring run and done)

I kept one this June. I felt like a rat, mostly because I'm much happier eating a cheeseburger than striped bass. I will no longer keep any bass next may or June unless I screw up and hook one in such a way that it can't survive. Nice suggestion. ;)

I only kept 6 bass this season (1 per month), and ate every ounce, and the frames went in my traps. Yet, I know several guys (non comms) who had no issues with keeping 4-5 per day, with upwards of 20 per week, and never ate a single one! Gave them all away, often to total strangers.:(

Until we somehow change that mind set, IMHO, any self imposed restrictions are simply token gestures of good will, and have little positive impact on the fishery as a whole. I hate to admit, I've pretty much thrown in the towel when it comes to getting other to release bass, esp large ones. :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02.

One may agree with placing some sort of limit on fish caught inside the canal, but really that is not the answer. The problematic lack of limits on those who find the need to take more then the actual limit every day is something that needs to be addressed. Over the past several years some find a need to take more then the two fish every day when the bite is on. One may answer that, by asking why?

It is not done for personal food supplies, but rather for other reasons that many here, have seen go on for years. No one person or family could possibly eat hundreds of pounds of fish caught in the course of a week and when you add the weeks all together it comes down to how much is a pound of fish worth on the open market.

We are not speaking to the commercial season when the selling of fish is a honorable way to make a living, but rather during the part of the year when the selling of fish is frowned upon.and is illegal as well.

Perhaps, if those that find the need to take more then the legal limit of two fish each day were to stop , the resource would benefit and we would not find the need to limit even further the catch inside the canal itself or any where else.

Now on the other hand since the Army Corp does not allow commercial enterprises under its control, they could place a limit of two fish , no matter commercial season or not for any fish residing in the canal waters and declare these waters as recreational only. That would be one way to declare that the Cape Cod canal and its waters are for recreational use only.