Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chromedome

Blank suggestions for lightweight surf/sod bank rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm looking to build a lightweight(physical and action)surf rod for schooled sized stripers, blues and flounder in NJ. Something to cast lighter lures, metals, his, etc...

I'm thinking 8-9' long. I'm not apposed to using a steelhead blank or fly blank. Does none have any suggestions for me to ponder?

Appreciate any feedback.

Danny

Lami XRA 108 3 = 1/2-2 1/4 oz.; blank wt. 5 5/8 oz.,

Lami XRA 108 4 = 1-4oz; blank wt. 7 1/2 oz

Lami GSB 108 1L = 1/2- 2 1/2oz.; blank wt. 5oz.

Lami GSB 198 1M = 1-3 oz; blank wt. 5 3/16 oz.

All depends on the action your looking for.

you could also look into the "new" Mudhole MHX blanks, I just built one of the prototypes, very sweet!

lami xra1083, an more moderate blank wold be the glb1081m (like the gsb1081l just cheaper), csw858- this is a composite but not heavy, very strong blank these will all do well with 3/4 - 2 but the csw will handle 2 1/2, 2 3/4 no problem

I want to build something sililar to what you describe, but a little bit lighter. I didn't want to spring for the extra bucks for a steelhead blank. So, I settled on the Rainshadow RX-6 F1090-2 which is a 2 piece 10wt fly rod blank. For what you want, may be go up to a 12wt blank. If you don't mind paying more than the Rainshadows, I would suggest you get a Temple Fork 10wt TiCRX blank. I have their 6 wt fly rod and it is extra fast with loads of backbone. The 10wt would be the same and be able to bring in the ocassional keeper+.

Also, I had previously built a 6wt 8 1/2' 2 piece fly rod into a spinner and cut a foot off the butt and this is now my ultralight spinning rod. It casts a 1/4 oz Hopkins no-eql a country mile on 2 lb mono (yes, two pound mono).

I like GSB lamis, but I think you can do better if you are throwing light stuff (particularly less than an ounce).

You might check out the Phenix site. They have a PSW906L that might fit the bill although I have no experience with it.

It won't be cheap, however.

I've built two rods on an SSU 1081L blank which I absolutely love. Unfortunately the first one broke after about a week of near constant use. THe second one (supposedly a redesign, built in 8/11)) doesn't have exactly the same action, it's more toward an SSU1081M which I also built. The latest build survived a week with no problems. My build (double layer cork tape handle, BMNAG guides with a NCG layout) weighs 9.8 oz, balances perfectly with a Stradic 5000 (20# braid). The one that broke handled fish to 38" with no problem (but then broke on a cast with a bomber - go figure).

I would like to try a build on a GSB1201L next. The SSU blank is a little expensive but worth it. It cost me $25 to get the broken one replaced (but I had to do the work to wrap it, of course).