Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piratesaboard

Assessing A Beach Buggy Option

3 posts in this topic

A good fishing buddy recommended I come over on this site and see if I could get some help in determining if any of you folks have for your surf fishing vehicle a Mitsubishi Montero? I am trying to narrow down a used vehicle choice that will provide me the function I need for beach/sand access, doesn't have to be real fancy but able to be road worthy and legal to get me where I want to go (NC Coastal  beaches including OBX). Can't break the bank either.

I found a used Montero to consider, have read up on the specs and differences of AWD, 4WD (permanent vs. temp), etc.. Does anyone use a Montero and if so do they work well for this or should I drop it off my list?  Specifically I found a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4 XLS

Thanks in advance.

A friend with whom I fished 20+ years ago had one and liked it reasonably well, on the beach and as a daily driver. I believe it's out of production for a decade at least, but if it's in good shape, and the price is right, why not?

Gentlemen, help our new brother out.

"The Mitsubishi Montero never quite became a household name in the United States, but fans of true SUVs, whose attention extends beyond America's borders know what it's about. Fact is, this rugged rock-hopper has been off-roading its way around the world for decades and taking home more than a few trophies in the famously grueling Dakar Rally in the process. Mitsubishi has built up plenty of respect for the name Montero -- or Pajero, as this midsize SUV is known in other global markets.

In the three generations and 24 years that the Montero was sold here, Mitsubishi moved it upscale in terms of size, power and class. But all the way through, the Montero never lost its roots as an off-road-worthy vehicle. Four-wheel drive was always standard, and specialty items such as locking differentials and adjustable shock absorbers were available on the second-generation Montero.

Unfortunately, this off-road bias became increasingly at odds with the way many Americans drove their SUVs. The Mitsubishi Montero was tall, heavy and high off the ground, and consequently felt slow-witted on the street. For the third generation, Mitsubishi made fundamental shifts to the Montero's hardware and driving character in hopes of improving the vehicle's appeal. It wasn't enough, however, as this model suffered in regards to on-road performance, engine power and interior roominess. Furthermore, the Montero received some injurious publicity when Consumer Reports reported that this midsize SUV had a susceptibility to rolling over in high-speed turns."

You can read the rest at Edmunds.

I wonder about parts availability and their price.