Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Icepants

Dry Top Latex or Neoprene gaskets?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi All, this years fishing has me wading out to bars when I can. I have a decent wading coat that works well most of the time, water does still find a way in sometimes. I have been looking at the Guy Cotton surf top and like the fit. However the top comes in two styles neoprene gaskets and latex gaskets. The neo top goes on and off pretty easy and latex is more difficult (much tighter). I know the latex should be more waterproof because of this but is the differeance really that much? And the dry tops seem much warmer, I guess they trap more body heat. Does anyone walk any distance when wearing a dry, if so do they get too hot?

Thanks - Ted

Easy answer first. If you get hot in a dry top or suit, walk into the water. You'll cool down quickly.

Latex is dryer and can be a pain to get on and off. The gasket is typically too tight. To fix this, I place a football in a small towel to get the right size and insert it into the neck gasket. Leave it like this for a week to stretch the gasket. Use the same method (baseball) to stretch the wrist gaskets, if necessary. I use mine on a kayak. I also use a spray top (adjustable neoprene neck & and wrists). It's not as water tight, but it's pretty good for overall protection.

I have an Aquaskinz dry top with the latex seals. When I first got it the neck gasket was so tight I turned blue in a few minutes.When i talked to the company they told me they are made that way so the user can trim down the latex to size. I'm not sure if the Guy Cotton tops are the same. Maybe check out their site. Just be careful, if you stretch it too much or cut too much off, it's now a semi-dry top :)

I have the green/ black Guy Cotten dry top. The neck is adjustable and quite comfortable compared to the others I've tried on. I've tried a lot since I'm allergic to neoprene and the Guy Cotten has served me well and no break outs for the allergy to this point. (knocking on wood)

I Have both, gotta say I prefer the neoprene cuffs, they're easier to get in & out of and they're more durable. Latex cuffs are better with regards to keeping the water out but are, like mentioned, harder to get in and out of. To combat that sprinkle any type of powder in the cuffs before putting the top on and you'll slide into it like you've been greased. Another problem with latex that I found is its not very good with certain products that you would use to re water proof your top, I have an A.S. Phantom and i used one of the nikwax repellants that did not require a dryer to activate the product in fear of the heat melting the cuffs in the dryer and I must have sprayed some on the latex & they eventually melted anyway from the chemical reaction with the latex, I wound up having to completely remove the cuffs as they became a sticky, mushy mess and were useless :(

Get even a slight tear in the latex and it'll rip completely through in no time simply by putting on and taking off the top. Stick with neoprene, they'll last longer