Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maverick

Surf Fishing in The Keys Near Tavernier

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am going down to the keys on January 24th for a few days and am looking to see if anyone can help me out on where to surf fish.  I have been told you can't do it because you would have to wade out into the water a mile.   I have read some other posts that say otherwise.  I am looking for any kind of fun fish, but would love to catch a shark or two.  Can anyone help me out on where to go and when.  Day, Night.  Or do I need to spend the money to rent a boat and go out to the reef.  Where is the best place to catch sharks, is my real question.  thanks all.

Tavernier has Harry Harris Park, an excellent place to fish while in the water up to your junk. You go into the park, out of towners pay on weekends, turn left go to the baseball diamonds turn right park by the dumpsters. You then cross some rough coral shore line and then wade on some hard bottom. Bring a couple of barracuda tube lures, my son in law hooked one over three feet long, I was glad when it cut itself off. What with me being the leader guy and in the water up to my stuff. I should have my boat "in the water" by then, give me a PM with where you are and what you're up to, we could get in a boat ride?

Peace

cool, thanks for the tip.  Where do I get barracuda tube lures?  We're coming down on the 24th of January.  Do you go out at night on your boat? 

What would it cost to go out with you.  (For the four of us guys?)

Sorry, my boat is only rated for four and I have yet to go out in the dark. The super markets and all the tackle stores have the cuda tubes. First windy day take a drive down to World Wide Sportsman, part of the Bass Pro Shop chain, mile marker eighty-something low on the bay side, big American Flag way up high, can't miss it. And the prices are good.

Peace

Where is the best place to catch sharks, is my real question.

For really big sharks, I would say Channel 5 bridge at about MM71 or so, the "south" end of the bridge. Best time to be there is at the current change to outgoing if it occurs late in the afternoon/ evening/night. The current change will probably occur an hour or so after dead high tide depending on the wind.

Tube flies work for cuda, but strip mullet is almost infallable. Fillet a mullet and split the fillets lengthwise so you get 4 strips per mullet. Buy a handful of 6/0 mustad hooks and put three of them together by squeezing the barb end into the eye ends so all three are in a line, all the hooks pointing the same way. Put a strip of mullet on starting at the first hook and working down

Haywire twist a section of #4 wire leader to hook and swivel on the other end. Bend in the mullet strip on the second and third hook before piercing the strip so it lays flat and then it won't twist and spin when retrieved. If it still spins, trim it with a knife so it doesn't. Insert the hooks into the flesh side and out the scale side.

Cast and retrieve fast. Save the cuda for shark bait.

Have fun.

Most warm nights you will find guys fishing for sharks off our sunset dock. The amount of chum in the water will make a difference and the tide going out helps. The fish cleaning station in our boat basin does help to draw them in. Heads make the best baits cause the crabs can't get them off the hook. So the best spot may be some place close to your lodging, where you can spend some time in the dark.

Peace

Hey Red Jeep,

Still haven't got my boat in the water, but I'll give you a holler once it happens.

Docks are indeed good shark spots, especially when the boats are coming in and people are filleting fish after a day's fishing and throwing the rest off the end of the dock. I think the sharks have regular beats, and go from one to another. We have some "regulars" that show up over here every afternoon/evening. But it is a private dock on private grounds.

It's interesting to watch the food preferences of sharks. Wahoo carcasses get snapped up very quickly by the biggest bull or blacktip, then it seems to go down in the order of tunas, mackerel, dolphin and at the very bottom of the list is grunts, which are not very popular with anything, though the nurse sharks and rays eventually eat them. I have pointed this out to Paul, a friend of mine that loves grunts and fishes nearly exclusively for them.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks so much guys!  I am taking notes!   and I'm going to build the mullet rig tonight.  I'm getting so excited. 

Do you think 9/0 reels or 6/0 reels are better for bridge fishing and going out to the reef in a boat?  thanks.

Any good advice for where to fish (wrecks or the reef?)

Thanks again.