Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogiiiboy

rod length for jersey's sandy beaches

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I fish south jersey beaches and was wondering what the consensus is in rod length necessity is for the sandy terrain down here. I, myself, have 8, 9 and 10.5 length rods......and use them during different times oif the year. My fall rod is predominantely the 10.5 rod but am often questioning myself if this is overkill for these beaches...not to mention how tiring it can get after plugging awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love all my rods and they are of high quality...but I'm wondering if there's a need for the "longer" rods on our beaches...

What's the consensus out there ...

Thanks...

I use my 8' and 9' Ticas when plugging and my 10.5' when throwing bait. But the ticas aren't the lightest of rods. If I had a nice 10' or 11' high quality rod that was light I'd be using that to get out further. But it really depends on the conditions and that structure of the beach your fishing. There are plenty of places that I can reach the fish with an 8' throwing bombers and mag darters.

I've always used a 9'0 and mostly fished the Monmouth county beach and jetty's. This year I have been fishing open beach and sand bars and just got the MoJo 10'-6" 1 to 3 oz model.....has made a tremendous difference in distance casting!

I used to fish a 7'er all fall. That was when fish were in close. Now that you need a he-man cast to reach them a 9' or 10' comes out.

They feel like over kill to me cause I'm getting 40's on the same rods in the spring. So a 10lb fish barely bends it.

In the spring in the surf mostly i use a 9'er. The 10' comes out when it's not so nice out (same in the fall w the 10)

I have a 7 footer, an 8 footer, and a 9.5 footer for plugging. I have a 10 footer and 10.5 footer for bait. The rod selection in the fall depends on a few things. I really LOVE the custom 7 footer, but it's light, so only when i can throw light stuff, IE small metal, bombers, redfins, etc. The 8 footer is one of the st croix old ben doerrs(rated 3/4-2 i think), which needs really 1.5 oz. to load it and can probably handle to about 3.5 oz easily. This is my go to snotty rod, as i generally only throw heavy needles and big metal. I mostly use my 9'6 lami, as it has the most versitile weight range, from a TRUE 3/4 to 2.5 range, and it also has the emcast on it for distance. The emcast is heavy, and the rod is no light thing, and it certainly tires you out. I may try and get a lighter 9' even rod, with a lighter reel on it, thats a general purpose plugging rod. Maybe the Tica, they make a real light rod.

This year due to the structure at IBSP the bass were out over the bar and 10'6" and 11' were getting it done, throwing metal. A 9' just wouldn't reach them a lot of times.

Using the shorter rods required you to pick the couple fish out of the holes during low light and dark hours, except for the stupid ones in eating sandeels on warm sunny afternoons. :)

You need a real variety to meet all conditions.

As stated, there are many different conditions that make anything from 7 to 11 ft. the rod of choice. For your enjoyment both physically and mentally, go with a 9' stick. Perfect for most days, and more importantly for most of the fish you will be catching. No real fun catching 5 lb. fish on a 10 or 11 ft. meatstick. And the 9 footer is like wearing slippers, you won't be sorry.

Using the shorter rods required you to pick the couple fish out of the holes during low light and dark hours, except for the stupid ones in eating sandeels on warm sunny afternoons. :)

My kind of fish. Stupid fish. ;)