Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mick2360

Newt Gingrich in 2012? Not Sold yet....

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Newt appears to be more than the 'flavor of the month. He is a very interesting character; completely brilliant and, like many brilliant people he is prone to letting his intellect wander. I'm not sure that he has the ability to find his message and stay on it. I'm not a fan of talking points but not having a core message is a big problem.

I think Newt Would be a good match for Obama in a debate and would love to see them square off. I'm not trusting of his temperament and have a real fear that his arrogance would resurface at an inopportune time. I'd be more comfortable with Romney. What are you guys thinking?

I would rather have Newt, but Romney has a better chance against Obama IMO.

I'd be very comfortable with a Newt / Romney ticket.

Political know how, backed up with real work Business experience.

I don't think it will happen.

I wouldn't bet on him just yet. We like to make up the headlines here but what is being heard from around the country is different.

What I think is happening is the media is electing the candidates now which shows the power they have in making our minds up.

Senators Tom Coburn (R-OK) and Kent Conrad (D-ND) joined Fox News Sunday to discuss where the debate stands on two competing bills that would extend the payroll tax cuts. Host Chris Wallace, in addition to asking questions about the tax cut debate, said it’s always interesting to hear what Congress has to say about the 2012 race.

Senator Coburn told Chris Wallace he will have difficulty supporting Newt Gingrich in 2012. Coburn said he feels Gingrich would not be able to bring the country together. “I’m not inclined to be a supporter of Newt Gingrich’s having served under him for four years and experienced personally his leadership… I found it lacking often times,” Coburn stated.

Rand Paul: Republicans would take a giant step backward by choosing Gingrich

Republicans Seem to Really Like Gingrich, But No One Else Does

There is no doubt Newt Gingrich is surging in the Republican primary. National polls show him as a top tier candidate and he has big leads in some early states. Republican primary voters are not just reluctantly settling for Gingrich, they appear to be rallying around him. According to Gallup his positive intensity score has sky rocketed well above any other candidate in the field.

While Republicans and Republican-leaning independents seem to have recently fallen in love with Gingrich, everyone else in America, Democrats and importantly independents, really dislikes him.

According to a Pew poll from the middle of last month, only 31 percent hold a favorable opinion of Gingrich compared to 48 percent who view him unfavorably. More significantly the poll found that in a head to head match up against Obama, Gingrich does worse with independents than Mitt Romney, Rick Perry and even Herman Cain. While Romney had a 12 point advantage with independents, Gingrich had a 10 point disadvantage.

A national Quinnipiac poll last month also found similar numbers. Independents have a very low opinion of Gingrich. 47 percent had an unfavorable opinion of him compared to 27 that view him favorably. On the other hand Romney is at 37% favorable – 27% unfavorable with independents; and Obama is at 46% favorable – 45% unfavorable with this important voting group.

If the Republican party chooses Gingrich, which at this point at least seems plausible, they would be selecting a nominee who would enter the general election with independents already heavily opposed to him. Given that the popular economy has been causing independents to sour on Obama, the GOP nominating such a candidate would be a stroke of incredible good fortune for the Obama campaign.

The Republican base seems to have recently fallen in love with Gingrich but most everyone else still really dislikes the man. I suspect the GOP primary will depend on whether Republican primary voters realize this fact and/or care that their potential standard bearer is so unpopular with the rest of the country.

HOUSE, IN A 395-28 VOTE, REPRIMANDS GINGRICH

The House of Representatives voted today, 395 to 28, to reprimand Speaker Newt Gingrich and fine him $300,000, agreeing with its ethics committee that he had brought discredit on the House by using tax-exempt money to promote Republican goals and then giving the committee untrue information for its inquiry.

The most severe rebuke ever visited on the presiding officer of the House in its 208-year history -- indeed, the only vote the House had ever taken to impose a sanction against any Speaker -- came after 90 intense minutes of debate. Most Republicans who spoke were hard on their leader; the Democrats were harder. Only a handful, all Republicans, defended him.

An Obama / Gingrich debate would be worth watching. Newt would not have Perry's memory lapse problems, he's fast on his feet and I think his aggressive style would play well against Obama' professorial cool. (Styles make fights, in boxing and elsewhere.) He has a formidable grasp of political history, not just politics - so to speak. I'll stay up late to see that one.

I don't think he'd play too well with the GOP's senior leadership in Congress. The solid majority of the committee that censored him probably reflects personal grievances as much as anything else.

Newt/Romney, Romney/Newt .... unlikely. As the two lead contenders they're going to have to bloody each other before one of them loses, and the hard feelings will last for awhile.

HOUSE, IN A 395-28 VOTE, REPRIMANDS GINGRICH

The House of Representatives voted today, 395 to 28, to reprimand Speaker Newt Gingrich and fine him $300,000, agreeing with its ethics committee that he had brought discredit on the House by using tax-exempt money to promote Republican goals and then giving the committee untrue information for its inquiry.

The most severe rebuke ever visited on the presiding officer of the House in its 208-year history -- indeed, the only vote the House had ever taken to impose a sanction against any Speaker -- came after 90 intense minutes of debate. Most Republicans who spoke were hard on their leader; the Democrats were harder. Only a handful, all Republicans, defended him.

This is well worth remembering. Gingrich is incredibly bright but, it appears, highly impulsive. I'm not sure if the 'found Jesus' lip service will be enough to offset that history.

Good comments above guys, thanks.

Newt would not have Perry's memory lapse problems, he's fast on his feet and I think his aggressive style would play well against Obama' professorial cool. (Styles make fights, in boxing and elsewhere.) He has a formidable grasp of political history,

That is true.

An Obama / Gingrich debate would be worth watching. Newt would not have Perry's memory lapse problems, he's fast on his feet and I think his aggressive style would play well against Obama' professorial cool. (Styles make fights, in boxing and elsewhere.) He has a formidable grasp of political history, not just politics - so to speak. I'll stay up late to see that one.

I don't think he'd play too well with the GOP's senior leadership in Congress. The solid majority of the committee that censored him probably reflects personal grievances as much as anything else.

Newt/Romney, Romney/Newt .... unlikely. As the two lead contenders they're going to have to bloody each other before one of them loses, and the hard feelings will last for awhile.

I may be a bit premature but I believe Perry is not really in the conversation at this point. Agree that Newt has much baggage and his antagonistic style has made him many enemies. It will be a 'survival of the fittest (conservatives will resort to Darwinist cliches for convenience's sake) primary from this point on, despite Newt's present calm demeanor.

Mick, Brian,

Great article by Peggy Noonan about Newt on the Drudge Report. Just read it. I am torn between Newt and Romney as they both have their good and bad points. Too bad we couldn't kind of meld them to make a Romnewt. :) Either would be a better President than the current POTUS but that all important electability comes into play. I lean to Romney because I think he will beat Obama going away but worry he will turn into GW Bush II. Newt would be more reliable if elected to fiscally do what needs to be done but I worry he would lose the moderates and not get elected, letting the failed Messiah back in.

Newt is flat out brilliant. The question is, can he discipline himself and stay on message for an entire campaign? I don't think he's the best bet. As for Romney's moderate stances, the man was governor of Massachusetts...he needed to get elected. That he has trended conservative since that time is not a disqualification in my eyes. I fail to remember many strong conservatives coming out of the northeast to go onto national office.

One other point, and this may get me banned from the Conservative club here, we will need a leader who can work with both parties to move out of the mess that we are in. Romney has the background and experience to do so. Cut spending drastically and raise taxes in some manner. Someone has to confront the debt that is strangling the economy.

Husky, a compelling video. Would you consider starting a thread of your own? This clip should be seen by all. I've gotta tell you, RP has got my attention, I just don't see him as electable; am I wrong?

Newt is flat out brilliant. The question is, can he discipline himself and stay on message for an entire campaign? I don't think he's the best bet. As for Romney's moderate stances, the man was governor of Massachusetts...he needed to get elected. That he has trended conservative since that time is not a disqualification in my eyes. I fail to remember many strong conservatives coming out of the northeast to go onto national office.

One other point, and this may get me banned from the Conservative club here, we will need a leader who can work with both parties to move out of the mess that we are in. Romney has the background and experience to do so. Cut spending drastically and raise taxes in some manner. Someone has to confront the debt that is strangling the economy.

I don't have a problem with raising taxes AFTER A COUPLE OF YEARS OF CUTTING THE BUDGET. If a conservative gets in and we start to drill, etc. and the price of energy goes down, I would have no problem with a $.25 per gallon tax at the pump. Historically, raising taxes just makes everyone want to SPEND.

I can't see Romney turning into a remake of the second President Bush. He's cautious by nature and not really that confrontational. He'd be closer in style to the first President Bush, and while he might not have Reagan's charisma he probably would work well with Democrats.

..........Republicans Seem to Really Like Gingrich, But No One Else Does............

There you have it! And, without independents, there's no way in hell Newt is going to be POTUS! BTW, I wouldn't bet that all Republicans like Newt either. I suspect that most Republicans understand that he's not going to defeat Bo in the general