Grill Pans?

Rate this topic

Not for me, but my mother asked.

I have one that I got as a Christmas present years ago. It is cast iron (I think a Lodge), and have used it maybe twice, cause it has a few issues. First, the cast iron ridges/valleys are very rough/bumpy, and catch food particles, and wiping it with a sponge or paper towel to clean is impossible, as it just shreads the sponge or towel. Second, every time I use it, the house gets filled with smoke because even though I have a hood fan above the stove, it just can't handle the amount of smoke it gives off.

So.....anyone have one and use it? Pluses, minuses? What type? Other suggestions.

Thanks.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

it's my goto piece of cookware, especially once I stop grilling (late fall-early spring). I use it 2-3 times per week. I dont wipe it down to "clean" it, I get it nice and hot and gently scrape all the burnt stuff off with a spoon and pour it out with the oil residue. it does smoke a lot; not much can done about that. a splash guard is a must or it makes a mess out of the stovetop.

Failed to mention.....she said she will use it mostly for burgers and steaks...........

Also asked about inside grill ridges only, or pans that are "pressed" such that they have ridges on both sides? :confused: Other question was aluminum or something else, and she mentioned non-stick which I flew a flag on because of the high heat issues.

Carry on............

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

I use a regular flat bottom cast iron pan. Never saw any benefit to a grill pan for cooking and as you noted, they are a pita to clean. The cutesy grill marks show where the steak was seared because the lighter area was NOT seared. I prefer to sear the whole steak.

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."
Hedley Lamar
"It wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest, was the low spark of high-heeled boys"
Jim Capaldi & Steve Winwood

I use a regular flat bottom cast iron pan. Never saw any benefit to a grill pan for cooking and as you noted, they are a pita to clean. The cutesy grill marks show where the steak was seared because the lighter area was NOT seared. I prefer to sear the whole steak.

I second this

Got one from the M-I-L, never used it. I have the cfm to pull the smoke, so I use the cast iron for a steak or the le creuset cast iron non stick for a single burger. The gasser is so far superior it's gotta to be really buried in snow before I use the stove top.

If someone wanted a grill pan I'd go cast iron. I have no problem soaking cast iron in soapy water for clean up. A stiff bristle brush would make washing the pan easier as well.

See you on the big one.

its like any other cast iron, once it seasons and flattens out it will be fine.  store it in the oven-for a year.  Use it a lot.  itll get there

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Failed to mention.....she said she will use it mostly for burgers and steaks...........

Also asked about inside grill ridges only, or pans that are "pressed" such that they have ridges on both sides? :confused: Other question was aluminum or something else, and she mentioned non-stick which I flew a flag on because of the high heat issues.

Carry on............

Pretty sure all the aluminum pans are coated with non stick stuff

Cast Iron is pretty much your only option I think. 4 different styles. Square, round,flat, or the 2 burner griddle.

Plenty of nonstick options out there. Even the 2 burner alum griddles are nonstick, but you could go cast iron for that option, other then the weight being a problem.

I have a round griddle I bought for the stove. Bayou Classic 14 inch. Cast iron, only has the ridges on on side though. Only use the flat side for omelets, pancakes, french toast, steak sandwiches. Occasionally if I decide to do a steak in the house I do that in the cast iron frying pan. Even take it camping with us and use it right on an open fire.

Lodge actually just came out with a all seasoned steal series but I think they are all flat frying pans.

Can't say I've ever seen a double ridged one before.

I can take mine right from the stove to the sink while it is still warm and wash it and every thing pretty much comes off with the sprayer. Sometimes I gotta take a copper pad to it but not often.

And the only time it should smoke is if it gets to hot. Mine never smokes unless I throw some butter on and let it heat to much before I put whatever sle I'm putting on.

Get her a Foreman grill. Seriously.

I assume you mean one of the larger ones such as this (72 square inches of cooking surface):

I have the standard size smaller one (inherited it from my grandmother), and I can't imagine cooking more than one steak or burger at a time on it. About the only thing I use it for is when I make something like a Cuban sandwich, and again, you can only do one at a time..

SOL Member #174

I assume you mean one of the larger ones such as this (72 square inches of cooking surface):

I have the standard size smaller one (inherited it from my grandmother), and I can't imagine cooking more than one steak or burger at a time on it. About the only thing I use it for is when I make something like a Cuban sandwich, and again, you can only do one at a time..

How many dozens of people is your mother going to cook for?

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

Seriously. My Mom is 78 and the foreman grill is something she use ALL the time. She even has a gasser outside. She used to grill vegetables, chicken, Burgers and steaks. She is cooking for her and my Dad.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

How many dozens of people is your mother going to cook for?

Mostly just her and my dad. But as I said, on the standard sized Foreman that I have, I can't see how one could possibly fit two burgers or two ribeyes on it at one time. The larger one pictured above, most likely no problem, as at 72 square inches, I am guessing it is something like 9" x 8".

She has a gas grill, but really dislikes having to use it for some reason, and Dad is getting a bit too old/has physical limitations for him to do the outdoor cooking anymore.

The other thing I don't like about the Foreman I have is that the hinge is fixed, so the part of the food that is near the back by the hinge gets squished and the front part doesn't come in contact with the upper plate. I think I saw from a quick look at their website that they have since redesigned the hinge, most likely just for this reason, but would have to investigate further.

She will be looking in on this thread, so I am sure she will take your (and everyone else's) suggestion(s) under consideration....:th::)

SOL Member #174