starting help

Jae

Workin on a 99 durango 5.2 ltr the truck has sat for some time so i replaced the cap and rotor as a general starting point as the owner told me this has happened in the past, and I can hear a faint sound of it wanting to kick but no go. Im thinking its sat for so long that there might be water in the line, how would I remove this line or where would I look. Also I got starting fluid to help, and clean the throttle body while im in there. Any ideas

UPDATE:

replaced the coil and she started, but i have more issues. chk eng popped and i dont have an obd2 reader yet and 2 far away to get one to use. needs oil change, and it is smoking a little. im guessing its just oil that leaked outa somewhere and is just burning off so not 2 big of a deal

Hi Jae, If it's white smoke it's probably just water in the gas, if it smells like oil then you may have a stuck valve of a valve seal that is leaking

I wouls start with a full tank of gas with some gas line antifreeze/dry gas and some fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps before removing the valve covers

Jae - A common problem on that motor is the intake plenum pan gasket if you do a search, you will see a lot of info on the web.

The alum intake has a steel pan bolted on the bottom and when it blows the gasket, oil is sucked into the intake. Look down the throttle body and see if you have oil pooling in the intake.

Your OBD will likely flash a cylinder misfire code, usually #8 first, but then others.

Burning this oil can ruin your cat as well.