Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patfont

Turning the Shimano Thunnus into a "BEAST REEL"

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Was going to buy a new spinning reel but decided instead to rework my 12000 Thunnus:

[img=

p><p>  <a href=[img=

http://ventnorbeach.smugmug.com/Other/Shimano-Thunnus/i-JPrWc26/1/M/reel4-M.jpg]

http://ventnorbeach.smugmug.com/Other/Shimano-Thunnus/i-SjFWb7p/1/M/reel2-M.jpg' alt='reel2-M.jpg'>

The before and after difference is amazing! When I was reeling in my 4 oz. weight and bunker head I thought I actually lost the bait and maybe even the whole rig. (That is how easy it is to reel in now) Have caught 3 with stripes so far and a large ray, and drag is butter smooth with no grabing. A very worth while project.

That looks great. What bearing did you use to replace those parts? How much drag do you have with the washer upgrade?

Hi Mark,

FYI the Carbontex drag washers are not listed on the Smooth Drag web site but they are set #13. Smooth Drag also has the line roller bearing it is a 4X8X3, and is on the price list page. However I purchased my bearing from ebay because I wanted a ABEC #7 bearing for the line roller location. As far as the drag max, it is listed at 17lbs for the stock reel. I did not test beyond that because I use 20 lb. mono and would never set it that high. That being said I was more interested in the drag being ultra smooth and it is, with the felt washers it would start up then grab then jerk the whole rod and then start again. No more problems with the drag and I would bet that it is over 17lbs with the carbontex.