Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
b-ware

Quabbin

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Just took a ride through Quabbin Park and for the first time that I can remember the resevoir is full beyond capacity (in the fall) and water is flowing over the spillway. I would recommend anyone with the time to check this out as it is truly a sight to see. Someday I will learn how to post pics here!!!!!!!

I read that a bunch of landlocks went over the spillway, and are now in the Swift River (Rt 9 section).

I also just leaned Dan Trela "Dean of the Swift River" will be speaking at the central Ma Trout Unlimited on 12/8 about this, and also demonstrating how to tie some of his famous midge patterns.

I'd really like to attend that.

I read that a bunch of landlocks went over the spillway, and are now in the Swift River (Rt 9 section).

I also just leaned Dan Trela "Dean of the Swift River" will be speaking at the central Ma Trout Unlimited on 12/8 about this, and also demonstrating how to tie some of his famous midge patterns.

I'd really like to attend that.

I have heard that story many times myself, but I find it to be rather unbeleivab le due to the fact that there is a waterfall, maybe 50 ft. in height, between the spillway and the Swift.

Dan Trela is a friend of mine that I have known for years, as a retired pharmacist he did the drug thing for my family and myself for years. He is also known for his hand crafted fly rods that are considered by many as the best.

I have heard that story many times myself, but I find it to be rather unbeleivab le due to the fact that there is a waterfall, maybe 50 ft. in height, between the spillway and the Swift.

Dan Trela is a friend of mine that I have known for years, as a retired pharmacist he did the drug thing for my family and myself for years. He is also known for his hand crafted fly rods that are considered by many as the best.

Agreed Bernie. I'm familair with the are too, and it's tough for me to believe. But I've pasted an excerpt as it appeard in Mark Blazis outdoor column in the Worc Telegram:

"Farther upstream, above the Route 9 bridge in Belchertown, landlocked salmon — some huge — are being taken in greater than normal numbers. They’ve been carried from the reservoir over the spillway as a consequence of excessive rain following Tropical Storm Irene. TU members have had success on them using proper patterns and presentations. TU’s free, open-to-the-public 6 p.m. Thursday fly-tying workshop at Mass Audubon’s Broadmeadow Brook Sanctuary is followed by Dan Trela, “Dean of the Swift River,” sharing his program, “Trout and Salmon Fishing Secrets on the Swift.”

Agreed Bernie. I'm familair with the are too, and it's tough for me to believe. But I've pasted an excerpt as it appeard in Mark Blazis outdoor column in the Worc Telegram:

"Farther upstream, above the Route 9 bridge in Belchertown, landlocked salmon — some huge — are being taken in greater than normal numbers. They’ve been carried from the reservoir over the spillway as a consequence of excessive rain following Tropical Storm Irene. TU members have had success on them using proper patterns and presentations. TU’s free, open-to-the-public 6 p.m. Thursday fly-tying workshop at Mass Audubon’s Broadmeadow Brook Sanctuary is followed by Dan Trela, “Dean of the Swift River,” sharing his program, “Trout and Salmon Fishing Secrets on the Swift.”

If the T&G said so than thats that! The only thing is that water has been going over the short spillway because a flash board or two was removed for a couple of weeks.

Water just started this AM going over the main spillway. Now a couple of points to ponder, don't fish swim upstream to spawn? and what would any amount of fish be doing in the vicinity of the spillways to be washed over?

Thanks Bernie, I may have to take a ride over this weekend if I am not working.

Cabo

Hey Jon, if you go take a walk down stream from the spillway on the nature trail and check out the waterfall/sluiceway under the bridge, I am sure you will be impressed!!!!!

Hey Jon, if you go take a walk down stream from the spillway on the nature trail and check out the waterfall/sluiceway under the bridge, I am sure you will be impressed!!!!!

One of my missions is the fish the Swift several times in 2012. I had every intention of doing so this year, but per usual, everything else got it the way. That's such a nice place to go in general, catching fish isn't even important.

One of my missions is the fish the Swift several times in 2012. I had every intention of doing so this year, but per usual, everything else got it the way. That's such a nice place to go in general, catching fish isn't even important.

With the Princess doing better, just let me know when and I'll try and make some time. Also met a contact for the Millers, need to try that in the spring also.

Cabo

Quite a few years ago, Debby and I went for breakfast on a Sunday morning in November, at a local restutaunt,and sitting a stool or two away from us were 2 distinctive gentlemen. Debby and I both knew that we had seen these two before but were unsure where or why, and they also kept looking at us, well the younger of the two asked me if I was the guy who made eelskin jigs and the older guy complimented Deb on her homemade beans (from the Gibby picnic). Well it seems that Ron Arra and John Furze were up for the day to fly fish the Swift!

Quite a few years ago, Debby and I went for breakfast on a Sunday morning in November, at a local restutaunt,and sitting a stool or two away from us were 2 distinctive gentlemen. Debby and I both knew that we had seen these two before but were unsure where or why, and they also kept looking at us, well the younger of the two asked me if I was the guy who made eelskin jigs and the older guy complimented Deb on her homemade beans (from the Gibby picnic). Well it seems that Ron Arra and John Furze were up for the day to fly fish the Swift!

So who were the distinguished gentlemen?:p

So who were the distinguished gentlemen?:p

I said DISTINCTIVE not DISTINGUISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking about Mr. Basser anyways oh Hi Ron :D and the water level is a little high right now!!!!

On a side note Bob, leave Charlie home when you come up to fish ths Swift as dogs are strickly forbidden on any Quabbin Watershed property.

Just sayin don't want to see you get in trouble or listen to another hissy fit1

I said DISTINCTIVE not DISTINGUISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking about Mr. Basser anyways oh Hi Ron :D and the water level is a little high right now!!!!

I was with Ron this afternoon. We were shellfishing.

Water level has been the main problem for me there. When I have the time, and I'm up that way during the pre season looking for turkey, the water levels are incredibly high. Unfishable, borderline dangerous.. But the time it drop in mid June, the canal is full of bass and I'm busy at work. But I'll make it by hook or crook in 2012.;)