Anybody Still Trying To Lobster In the Western Sound?

Rate this topic

Ravioli

Has there been any recovery at all?

Never knew there was was a fishery for it in the Sound. Pretty cool.

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

yeah northport/ huntington did pretty well not too long ago as well as western area like manhassett/to queens area's by the bridges to city island. I have met men that use to make a living at it.

Cool stuff. I love me some Lobster :drool:

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

the northport guys are now "your buddy's" you like soo much when your going over construction on the bridges :D they mostly went in the dock workers union, they are some of the northport lobsterman. they were mostly 1-3 pnders in size.

Libba #1953/MSA #1952
surf fishing since 04 "think like a fish"

the northport guys are now "your buddy's" you like soo much when your going over construction on the bridges :D they mostly went in the dock workers union, they are some of the northport lobsterman. they were mostly 1-3 pnders in size.

Take it easy BOB!

Has there been any recovery at all?

Not anywhere near a recovery, I mean not 10% of what they used to catch. A single tote instead of 10 or 15. The DEC is/was talking about a moratorium, I'm further east than Northport. The only guys making any living out there are the lobsterman who were able to hang onto their winkle license. If you let it lapse you lost out. Seems there are alot of winkles around and since they are natural predators of bivalves you'd be doing the clams a big favor by taking them out. DEC sees it as a resource that needs protection, so they are strictly limiting the lisences; they'll probably outlaw taking starfish as well. :confused: It has be tough to get the horsefeed we used to use as bait, since new regs are protecting them since they are a major food for a Mid -Atlantic shorebird that migrate through every spring. I'm just real glad I got out of making a living from the water when I did.

Pete

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

Not anywhere near a recovery, I mean not 10% of what they used to catch. A single tote instead of 10 or 15. The DEC is/was talking about a moratorium, I'm further east than Northport. The only guys making any living out there are the lobsterman who were able to hang onto their winkle license. If you let it lapse you lost out. Seems there are alot of winkles around and since they are natural predators of bivalves you'd be doing the clams a big favor by taking them out. DEC sees it as a resource that needs protection, so they are strictly limiting the lisences; they'll probably outlaw taking starfish as well. :confused: It has be tough to get the horsefeed we used to use as bait, since new regs are protecting them since they are a major food for a Mid -Atlantic shorebird that migrate through every spring. I'm just real glad I got out of making a living from the water when I did.

Pete

I remember days when I would help because they had to haul twice in a day. It's a shame what happened to that industry.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

Used to fish a sandbar in Fairfield county that you had to wade calf deep through mussel beds for hundreds of yards. The summer after they started spraying for west nile, the mussels were gone completely. If I remember correctly, that is when the lobster fishery in the sound took a nose dive as well.

Used to fish a sandbar in Fairfield county that you had to wade calf deep through mussel beds for hundreds of yards. The summer after they started spraying for west nile, the mussels were gone completely. If I remember correctly, that is when the lobster fishery in the sound took a nose dive as well.

They started washing up dead within a day or so.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

Seems there are alot of winkles around and since they are natural predators of bivalves you'd be doing the clams a big favor by taking them out. DEC sees it as a resource that needs protection, so they are strictly limiting the lisences; they'll probably outlaw taking starfish as well. :confused: Pete

Sure you're not talking about whelks, since winkles feed almost exclusively on algae and other vegetable matter?

Sure you're not talking about whelks, since winkles feed almost exclusively on algae and other vegetable matter?

Sorry "winkle" is baymen slang for whelk, sometimes we call'em conks as well. The trap has always been called a conk pot or a winkle pot. But, yes they are welks both the channel and horned variety. Either one ends up in frozen in a plastic bag, or swimming ain a fra-diavlo sauce:drool: and better known as scungilli.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post

They started washing up dead within a day or so.

You spray insecticide over everything that moves, and some of those things are going to stop moving. Not much difference between the nervous system of a bug and that of a lobster.

Ordinary ****ing people - I hate 'em.