Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeedFish

Nautical Chart Question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Anyone happen to know what "Obstn and Subm Racks" means on a nautical chart? Came across an etched box on the chart labeled as such, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Seriously, consider taking one of the really informative courses given by the Power Squadron or the Coastguard Auxillary. Both groups have beginner and advanced classes and the best part is you will get to meet some really great peple who love boating.

The Hydrographic Office which was located in Ogden UT (if still open) had a booklet that covered symbols and abbreviations on Nautical charts, Duttons or Bowditch should also cover them,local Sailing Yacht club should also be of help and as others stated the USCG aux or Power Squadron (Power squad charges small fee for materials)

Submerged Racks....  It's a good spot to drop anchor and.... uhh, yeah.... use your imagination... naughty.gif  Ooops thought I was in the Tavern. Submerged Rock and the number sometimes assigned to it is its depth... and  Obstruction as stated above

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedFish View Post

Anyone happen to know what "Obstn and Subm Racks" means on a nautical chart? Came across an etched box on the chart labeled as such, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

On both ends of the canal are racks or cluster's of wood pilings where tugs and small barges tied up to wait for weather. Now a days the barges usually anchor out by Cleveland Ledge or in the bight near P town.

i could be wrong but if you look at NOAA chart 13230 and follow the sand spit out all the way to the end then hook back nin towards GREAT NECK right by the beach you will see a square and the words obstn and subm racks with an arrow pointing towards the sqaure.

I see what you're sayin' on NOAA

There is no description listed for "subm racks" in U.S. Chart No. 1

To anyone interested in a better understanding of US Nautical Charts, download U.S. Chart No. 1 from the NOAA website. I think the rules of SOL state I can't help you with a direct link to it... confused.gif

If I'm wrong let me know Mods, Leaders, Tyrant

I'd absolutely love to if I had the time.

If you are piloting a boat and need to use a chart you should find the time. You will only endanger yourself and your passengers without any boating courses under your belt. I am not trying to be a smart-ass just helpful. It could mean your, and other peoples, lives.