Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EHLawyer

First Time Popper Lure

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

First effort at building lure, from preshaped bodies.

Bought some preshaped popper bodies from BST a while ago and just getting around to working on them.

Tried to drill 1/8" hole just below center in front, center in back..........joined with a longer 1/8" drill bit that got off center in back, enlarging that hole. Have 1/16" annealed stainless wire to run through. Thought if I drilled 1/16" hole, wouldn't be able to squeeze the open looped side in. Concerned that after body is sealed and painted, and wire run through, that water will seep in around wire in front and back, ruin any popping action...........Thought about adding some epoxy when I finally install wire to seal those openings - and to re-center wire in tail.

Thanks for help. Steven

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2540025/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

If the plug is sealed correctly ..... you wont have any issues with wood splitting. did you put some weight in the plug and test it so it sits in the water correctly ?

you can totally seal the plug with epoxy when you wire it up and then prime and paint.

If the plug is sealed correctly ..... you wont have any issues with wood splitting. did you put some weight in the plug and test it so it sits in the water correctly ?

you can totally seal the plug with epoxy when you wire it up and then prime and paint.

Thanks for the response.............was planning on sealing, priming, painting and then wiring..............but makes sense to wire, epoxy, prime and paint.

Next step is weight in the plug......

I always wire my plugs after paint and clear. No problems if you wire it first. More of a personal thing. I would wire it and add hooks, then place in water to see how it sits. Add lead (or not) to get it to sit how you want it. Make a note of how much lead it took so you can do the rest of them the same way. Your use of an 1/8 inch drill was correct. Some like to use a bit that is slightly larger than that (up to 3/16 inch). You'll want to add a nose grommet to keep the plug from splitting when you torque down on the wire while doing the tail wrap (also a tail gromet on the tail). If the plug is sealed correctly, you won't have to worry about the opennings in the plug.

Jigman

What about the belly hook hole, eyes? Realigning that tail hole will be tough. Use that plug the way it is or drill the tail for a tail weight and hope the wire hole enters it.

What about the belly hook hole, eyes? Realigning that tail hole will be tough. Use that plug the way it is or drill the tail for a tail weight and hope the wire hole enters it.

Won't be using belly hooks..........just single tail hook (avoiding treble hooks and the joy they create when you catch a blue fish on it)....................