Why do Stripers get so Unpredictable?

Rate this topic

BassinJ

Hey guys, this has been something I've always wondered, and never quite understood it, and I don't know if its something anyone understands. But my question is, why do stripers get so unpredictable? And what I mean by this is they can confuse the hell out of you. For example, sometimes the fish will be on spearing, or lets say large sand eel like there has been around lately, and they won't touch a small rubber eel bait, or a thin profile bait, but they'll crush a darter? I don't understand. But I guess it means you can't rely on matching the hatch to get you bit, and if you do you may go on fishing the whole day throwing a perfect imitation of the bait that is currently present only to get absolutely nothing and fool yourself into thinking that there are no fish around because you didn't get bit.

Good example is how my fall has been lately. I know the fish are on giant sandeels, I have gutted a few here an there and that is what I find in there stomach. Yet I throw my large needles, my medium size needles... and nada. I throw rubber eel baits on wobbleheads... nada. I throw teasers, and even larger sluggo teasers... nada. I put on a mag darter...fish on. I put on a bomber... fish on. I put on a darter.... fish on. What the hell is going on? It don't make any sense! The fish are eating thin sandeels, yet they won't touch the needles, and they'll touch the small/fat profile darter!?

I don't know, it just confuses me. I know the needles work, and that I'm fishing them correctly for the most part, because I have had good days on them. But you'd think when the fish were on giant sandeels they'd be a top producer, not a plug that doesn't look anything like the bait. I guess this just goes to show you that we will never be able to predict what the fish will want, and that matching the hatch is only a small part of a surfcaster's tactic and should not be relied on.

No excuses, go fishing.

Makes all the sense in the world, actually. Why would they want to feed on a bunch of small baits right now if it's the fall run. they need to fatten up for the long trip east and south. A nice big bait is just what they want. An easy fat meal. As stated above, there may be other bigger bait in the surf right now. herring make a showing now and there may still be some shad around. It's all about knowing the patterns of the fish you fish for, their diets and what their "DIET" is doing now too.

So, i would say, not all that UN-predictable. It's about patterning.

Arrrg, stripers, they be finicky. it happens to all of us. there are times when i chum the poop out of the water and get nada nada nada, and yes i know theres fish there. and there is also other times ill cast out with a little piece of bunker and literally as soon as it slaps the water and i close my bail im grabbing the reel to set the hook. for a creature with such a tiny brain, gggrrr they can rreally get to you

Learning is slow when you can't believe what you think..... isn't working

Learning get fast when you realize how much there is to learn...

I know most times I'm a know it all but i,mm learning Waiter another glass of wine .....

Some times the way out is thru.........