Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcast

Senkos wacky rig ??

16 posts in this topic

1/0 Gamakatsu Octopus is the best I have tried so far (Only started wacky rigging this spring). I've been considering trying one size larger, but I have not had any problems with the 1/0 Gamakatsu, except for pickerel. It's a small hook, and I've been bitten off a couple of times. Wacky Rigging has been a VERY effective method for me this year for both bass and pickerel. So much so that when conditions allowed, I was wacky rigging instead of fishing the senkos texas rigged. Also, if you plan on fishing through the winter months it should be a great technique because it will allow you to fish slow and near the bottom.

Mike is right, I love the Gamakatsu Octopus hooks for wacky rigging.....and the #1 or the 1/0 is all I use. I prefer the 1/0 though. You don't need a big hook for bass, I like the 1/0 and to set the hook just simply raise the rod and start reeling. Those hooks are so thin and sharp that they set themselves. Also, try wrapping some electrical tape around the middle of your bait, or using a small #5 or #6 split ring, and then thread your hook underneath the ring of through the tape. This will allow the senko to stay on the hook much longer, so you don't lose it after each fish.

I often wacky rig Senkos and prefer the Gamakats weedless finese hooks - size dependent on the quarry and Senko size.

They are pricey, but work extremely well for this application - just don't wait too long before setting the hook!

also, you can take the ones without the weedguards and put the hook in once, then turn it and put the hook back into the worm, and not show the point. You will still get hung up, but not nearly as much as you would if you just went through once.

I dont get wacky too much but when I do I prefer the gami finesse wide gap size 1 or 2. Gami even make one with a little wire weed guard for tossing into the weeds.

+1 on the gami finesse wide gap size 1 w/o weed guard. Works well.

I often wacky rig Senkos and prefer the Gamakats weedless finese hooks - size dependent on the quarry and Senko size.

They are pricey, but work extremely well for this application - just don't wait too long before setting the hook!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I LOVE wacky rigging and have had a ton of success this past year with it.  Its a great natural presentation of a worm and the way it moves.  I usually use a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook and you can also use the o-rings they sell which helps with not ripping as much senkos or having the bass steal them.

I use the 3/0 glock or any of gami's wide gap worm hooks. Switch btwn wacky and tx rig w/out retying.

+1. Its a hassle to keep retying when your trying to find what the fish want. I prefer a 2/0 EWG over the G-Locks though. Not sure why, just do