16 posts in this topic

How soon do you think he'll be out?

Obama pardon?

Rod Blagojevich sentenced to 14 years in prison

Governor was convicted of trying to sell President's Senate seat

BY Nina Mandell

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, December 7 2011, 1:22 PM

Disgraced Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich was sentenced to 14 years in prison Wednesday after he admitted guilt and tearfully apologized at a sentencing hearing on Wednesday morning.

The apology was a shocking turn for the normally defiant politician.

"My life is in ruins. I have nobody to blame but myself for my stupidity and actions and the things I did and I thought I could do. I'm not blaming anybody," he said, according to the Chicago Sun-Times before the Judge’s ruling. "I never set out to break the law. I never set out to cross lines."

In a speech to District Judge James Zagel, he also described the pain his actions have brought on his children and pointed out that his 15-year-old daughter, Amy, was second in her class, the Chicago Tribune reported.

"I would hope you find some mercy," he added, before the court recessed.

When he was finished speaking, according to the Tribune, he kissed his wife, Patti, on the head.

Zagel said that he considered Blagojevich’s acceptance of responsibility in deciding his sentence, which was less than the 15-20 years prosecutors had requested — but much more than the 3 1/2 years defense lawyers requested.

“I believe he did, in fact, accept [responsibility],” Zagel said, according to the Sun-Times.

Blagojevich was found guilty on 17 corruption charges in June, including his attempt to sell President Barack Obama's old Senate seat for political favors and cash.

He loudly proclaimed his innocence until Wednesday, when he and his attorneys admitted he was guilty.

His statements came after prosecutors blasted him for causing "real harm" caused by his corrupt actions.

"The defendant in this case held up funding to every children's hospital in the state of Illinois for 30 days," Assistant U.S. Attorney Reid Schar said, according to the Sun-Times. "That was a real harm."

On Tuesday, Blagojevich's lawyer read a letter to the judge from Patti Blagojevich asking that he consider the pain a long prison sentence would cause their family.

"Your honor, I ask you humbly with the life of my husband and the childhood of my daughters in your hands, be merciful," the Tribune reported.

Blagojevich's sentencing marks the end of a long and theatrical downfall of the politician, who was first arrested in December of 2008 during the second term of his governorship.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/rod-blagojevich-admits-guilt-tearfully-apologizes-article-1.988075#ixzz1fsO757xb

Yet Jesse Jackson Jr,'s role in this corrupt farce goes unpunished. Hmmmm...... I wonder why. :squid:

Hazard a guess and say Jackson knows where the bodies are buried!

1 down, how many more politicians to go until the system can start over?

This is the thought that I'd have. Blago is going to jail for influence peddling and selling his office; I'd like to hear the recordings of member's of the Senate and House. My guess is that the corruption is on a huge scale. Blagodevitch was stupid, crass and a crook to boot. I'd like to see him have plenty of company. Abscam II anybody? :idea: .

Convicted on 17 counts but gets to wait untill February before he reports to jail. :mad:

My bet says he only does one year before Obama commutes his sentence on the way out the door.

Convicted on 17 counts but gets to wait untill February before he reports to jail. :mad:

My bet says he only does one year before Obama commutes his sentence on the way out the door.

No.

Don't think so.

Obama doesn't need Blagojevich anymore.

I think what he did was wrong and he deserves to be punished.  It is frustating to me when I see news reports of rapists, child molesters and killers receiving less time.   Drunk drivers receive slaps on the wrists.  These people are actually physically hurting people. 

I understand he needs to be punished and he gives me the creeps, but what about holding everyone accountable for what they do and have prison times that would actually (hopefully) curb the crimes?

JMO 

I read in the paper where a convicted bank robber got 9 years.

14 years for not really hurting anyone seems a bit stiff, IMO.

I know that corruption is wrong, and needs a strong deterrent because of the rewards if successful are huge.

On the other hand, if Obama pardons him in a year, I'll think he got off too easy.