Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Dogs on the beach

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I have noticed a lot of dogs on IBSP this fall and I have a beef with some of the owners.

Firstly, the park rules state the dogs should be on a leash at all times. Although I have no problem with dogs running around the beach and enjoying the surf unleashed I do have a problem with one issue. A few days ago I observed someone's good size chocolate colored Labrador chasing a striper that was apparently caught by it's owner and then grabbing the fish in it's mouth. Now I kow that this may seem like fun but you have to think of the harm that can be done to a bass that is about to be released.

Please guys, I am a dog lover too. But, please keep the dogs from chewing on the bass. Next time I call the DEC and Park Police.

Thanks.

Spig

If it's after release, then I agree it's wrong. If it's one I'm going to keep and it's flopping around, It's a different story. But when he try's and he does, a simple drop it is all it takes. The bigger problem is chasing casted lures. Especially in fresh water :)

It wasn't Maggie was it. She did get a skate the other day;)

the other issue is the dog could get hurt by a hook, the fish, the braided line. I had a dog that i would let run loose freshwater fishing and he got into a dead fish and got a bacterial infection. You have to keep an eye on your pets. I bring my other dog with me now and she sits on the beach right next to my bag most times I anchor her down with a sand spike. The last two weeks it's been so crazy i have left her home.

I see I didn't get through. It's not as much as the dog doing what dogs do it is that the stupid owner is letting the dog do what it is doing and not restraining it. Also the fish KICKING is out of line. The dog is a dog, the owner is an idiot!

dogs rarely bother me on the beach at all.  as long as you clean up after them.

it cracks me up that everyone gets all wound up if someone doesnt bag the dogs waste but some yahoo on a horse can trot by and drop a steamer right next to my jeep and they just gallop away like nothing just happened! 

I had a black lab run and pick up my lure at the waterline.I opened the bail,it ran all the way to the dune then dropped the plug,without getting hooked.If the dog had been hooked,how much you want to bet the owner would blame me

I love Dogs

But control your beasts