Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zmkm

Has anybody tried to converted Penn Sargus sg reels to manual bail

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a Penn Sargus sg5000 and a sg6000, used a few times and had one slams shut bail. Otherwise the reels are very good. Not sure if I can open them and take out the bail lever to convert them to the manual bail. Has anybody here once tried? Any suggestion would be appreciated! thanks!

Yes absolutely you can take the bail lever out. Very easy to do. Lemme know if you have any questions. This is my second season using the SG6000.

Yes absolutely you can take the bail lever out. Very easy to do. Lemme know if you have any questions. This is my second season using the SG6000.

Thanks a lot! Will that be the same or similar as taking out the bail lever from slammer reel:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/387584/how-to-convert-penn-slammers-to-manual-bail

has any idea about the comparison between a ssg6000 and a slammer 560? thanks!

I'm also a big Sargus fan (like the Battle a bunch as well). You can definitely convert to manual and once you open the reel up it becomes pretty obvious what the procedure is.

Side note...I have an extra SG6000 spool that is doing nothing. It doesn't fit any of my 5000 series and can't work with the 6000 Battle I own. You guys have any interest if I put it in the BST for maybe $15 plus shipping? I won't accept any offers on this post or PM's but rather would like to see if there is anybody in need before I do the whole picture and post thing.

Dutch

Thanks a lot! Will that be the same or similar as taking out the bail lever from slammer reel:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/387584/how-to-convert-penn-slammers-to-manual-bail

has any idea about the comparison between a ssg6000 and a slammer 560? thanks!

I didn't have to take off the bail wire. There is a small cover on the bail. Unscrew and you'll see the lever. Remove it and put the spring back in place. As a side note within the rotor you'll see a counter weight. I would remove that because it's no longer needed.

I didn't have to take off the bail wire. There is a small cover on the bail. Unscrew and you'll see the lever. Remove it and put the spring back in place. As a side note within the rotor you'll see a counter weight. I would remove that because it's no longer needed.

Thanks very much! what's the shape of the lever and the counter weight? I only need to take out the lever but not the spring, right? thanks!

Thanks very much! what's the shape of the lever and the counter weight? I only need to take out the lever but not the spring, right? thanks!

The lever looks like a very elongated s shape. I would take a look at the schematic to be sure. And yes leave the spring in. The counter weight is in the face of the rotor. When you take the spool off you'll see it, it's silver in color flat. PM me if you have any other questions about the reel. Unfortunately I've become very familiar with the reel because I need to take it apart a couple of times a season to clean it out after getting splashed with waves.

The lever looks like a very elongated s shape. I would take a look at the schematic to be sure. And yes leave the spring in. The counter weight is in the face of the rotor. When you take the spool off you'll see it, it's silver in color flat. PM me if you have any other questions about the reel. Unfortunately I've become very familiar with the reel because I need to take it apart a couple of times a season to clean it out after getting splashed with waves.

Thank you so much! I'll PM you if I have any other question! :)