Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Proposition: at any price point under $200

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

all spinning reels of a given price point are pretty much the same in overall quality, and in overall utility on the surf scene.

It doesn't matter what the brand is. A $200 Shimano =$200 Penn = $200 Daiwa= $200 Godknowswhatelse.

You have to go into higher price brackets to see significant differences in overall functionality.

Let the winter (I'm not fishing, I want to but family and holiday is in the way, etc.) B.S. begin.

That's true to a certain extent. I have no experience with the new Daiwa Emblem Pro A, but the older version was capable of outcasting many reels in it's class for under the $200 mark. There are a few others that possess qualities that make them better for one reason or another. But in general I see what you're saying. There are a few stand outs though.

I think in the $200.00 range the Shimano's are tough to beat. IMO their gears are of higher quality, cold forged aluminum and a hardened brass pinion is impressive when compared to the gears in some others.

It can be found with the Spheros, Stradic, Saragosa etc...When you add aero wrap II in the case of the Stradic, and aerowave or regular aerowrap with the Gosa and Spheros depending on model , make them tough to beat.

Now, the Quantum's can stack up with them and they are very impressive also, but i like the overall refinement a little better on the Shimano's. Unfortunately they no longer come with a spare spool which made them an even bigger bargain.

all spinning reels of a given price point are pretty much the same in overall quality, and in overall utility on the surf scene.

It doesn't matter what the brand is. A $200 Shimano =$200 Penn = $200 Daiwa= $200 Godknowswhatelse.

You have to go into higher price brackets to see significant differences in overall functionality.

Let the winter (I'm not fishing, I want to but family and holiday is in the way, etc.) B.S. begin.

You mean new, right. I buy used Stellas and send them back to Shimano. You get 48 hour turn around and I have never paid more than $50 for any repair.

Sweet deal. Why by anything else.

Yeah, I have new reels in mind.

Basically, all reel manufacturers in this price point are all buying components from and doing assembly in the poorer corners of the Pacific Rim. I'm not sure if any $200 spinner, Shimano or other, has a better gear train than my old 704Z. Marketing departments will take a word ("Saltiga" comes to mind) and move it down their product line to cover more and more products, even if it originally denoted a genuinely elite product.

XBMX, if the SS-2600 is still to be had at under $200 AND current build quality is as good as it was for the first years of the reel's production, I might have to concede on that one.

The build quality's the issue, though. Mine is an older reel and for light line it's an excellent tool. Anybody buy one within the past few years and fish it hard enough to comment on the current production build quality? I'd bet it's not made in Japan anymore, though.

Do Shimano reels have a better gear train then competitive reels at the same price point? I don't know. I have an impression that they're a bit more complex mechanically than similarly priced Penn or Daiwa product, but that's not synonymous with value or performance. Guys, whaddya think of that point?

Brian----(XBMX, if the SS-2600 is still to be had at under $200 AND current build quality is as good as it was for the first years of the reel's production, I might have to concede on that one.

The build quality's the issue, though. Mine is an older reel and for light line it's an excellent tool. Anybody buy one within the past few years and fish it hard enough to comment on the current production build quality? I'd bet it's not made in Japan anymore, though.)

With the return policys of say Cabellas, It's worth a shot to just try one for a few months. They haven't come from Japan for a while now but have been told by friends that things like line lay and drag quality are the same.

the stradic fi, specifically the 6000 or 8000 is a very solid reel, however add sme braid and you are over 2 bills. The reel can cast, handle a 40 pound striper or a 9 lb albie with room to spare in the drag department.

Yeah, I have new reels in mind.

Basically, all reel manufacturers in this price point are all buying components from and doing assembly in the poorer corners of the Pacific Rim. I'm not sure if any $200 spinner, Shimano or other, has a better gear train than my old 704Z. Marketing departments will take a word ("Saltiga" comes to mind) and move it down their product line to cover more and more products, even if it originally denoted a genuinely elite product.

XBMX, if the SS-2600 is still to be had at under $200 AND current build quality is as good as it was for the first years of the reel's production, I might have to concede on that one.

The build quality's the issue, though. Mine is an older reel and for light line it's an excellent tool. Anybody buy one within the past few years and fish it hard enough to comment on the current production build quality? I'd bet it's not made in Japan anymore, though.

Do Shimano reels have a better gear train then competitive reels at the same price point? I don't know. I have an impression that they're a bit more complex mechanically than similarly priced Penn or Daiwa product, but that's not synonymous with value or performance. Guys, whaddya think of that point?

Brian, they don't make reels with the quality that they used to , the part quality has gone way down and its considerably worse today then it was a decade or two ago for most reels in the $200.00 category.

Made in USA quality parts and workmanship is very rare these days. Overseas outfits can make quality stuff if they wanted to, but they use much cheaper materials because the cost factor.

I work on reels all the time, for myself and other people and for my $$$ the Shimano's with the Paladin gear durability enhancement which is just a cold forged aluminum main and hardened brass pinion is one of the best for the money, and far better than most for $200.00. Ask Alan H about cold forged aluminum gearing, i bet he gives it a:th:

I fished Penn for ages and the gearing they use today (excluding the Torque) is terrible and not even close to what most were used to in the 70's and 80's. I replaced my main and pinion on my Liveliner 560 4 times since i bought it , the pinion is not too bad, but the main is pot metal. Now regarding Penns Z series, they were way ahead of their time with those reels, good luck finding something that's comparable in quality and price today. Not a chance,

I hope you and your family have a healthy and enjoyable Christmas and holiday season;):th:;)

After a lot of trial and error, I came around to feeling that Shimano makes the best gears for the price. The lower end Shimano gears (spheros) are very good and like Cnnashman stated above, the paladin gear setup is really top notch for reels just over the $200 mark like the Saragosa. I think the other reel of notable in and out quality is the Quantum Cabo. Tthe weight to size ration of the Cabo may have hurt it's popularity especially among surf guys but overall the reel is solid and long lasting.

After a lot of trial and error, I came around to feeling that Shimano makes the best gears for the price. The lower end Shimano gears (spheros) are very good and like Cnnashman stated above, the paladin gear setup is really top notch for reels just over the $200 mark like the Saragosa. I think the other reel of notable in and out quality is the Quantum Cabo. Tthe weight to size ration of the Cabo may have hurt it's popularity especially among surf guys but overall the reel is solid and long lasting.

I've never owned a bad Shimano reel. I've had every model of Stradic( I think) and most of the Stellas. I'm currently using a Stella SW and it's going to be buried with me when I die.

The Saragosa is a piece of cake to self service so that's a plus in my opinion.

The Quantum Cabo was mentioned above but in my opinion that particular reel is a sand trap. Granted any reel in this price point can suffer from sand abuse, but my experience with the Cabo was exceptionally bad. Corrosion resistance wasn't the best either.