Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max4

Need recipe for Turkey noodle soup

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Break carcass apart to fit stock pot, Simmer about an hour in about 2 qts cold water with a few pepper corns, Strain and put back in pot adding chopped veggies, Half an onion, equeal parts chopped carrotts and celery tops and leaves included 11/2- 2 cups, simmer than add some chopped parsley and salt to taste, Add more water if necessary. Let carcass cool ,pickmeat off and add back to soup.

Don't have much time now, but in addition to what was said above..............

Veggies you might want to add are kale, purple top turnips, parsnips.....and unless your turkey carcass has a LOT of meat on it, you are gonna want to supplement it with some other cooked turkey or chicken to add to the soup after you make the stock.

And IF your carcass has a lot of meat on it, you want to take that off BEFORE making the stock as posted above, or else it will become tough and stringy. Add in the picked off meat later.

And don't add the noddles until the last few minutes (or if you are making a big batch to save and have more another time, add them when you re-heat), only add them for the last few minutes, or else they will get mushy.

I can do better tomorrow, but I am out of time and gotta go cook............. ;)

Steve, I have them looking into the threads where the pictures were uploaded as "images" rather than attachments - any thread that had the picture uploaded as "images" will have this problem - no need to link any more of them. If you are unsure whether the pictures were uploaded as images, edit your post, click on "source" - if you see /images/ in there, that's the problem :)

Thanks for your help Steve, we went out of town for the first Turkey day and I greatly missed smelling the turkey cook which I feel is a big part of the festivities. Sooo the wife and I got a second one and did it again to receive maximum benefit of the cooking bird!

I love homemade soup anyways and figured this was the best time to make some homemade turkey soup with noodles! I am sort of surprised either recipe didn't call for the addition of some sort of stock turkey or vegetable? I know that is what the carcass is for but am a little concerned it wiil have enough flavor?

If you are kind enough tommorrow finish up or continue please with your reccomendations it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks to both of you, MAX

Thanks for your help Steve, we went out of town for the first Turkey day and I greatly missed smelling the turkey cook which I feel is a big part of the festivities. Sooo the wife and I got a second one and did it again to receive maximum benefit of the cooking bird!

I love homemade soup anyways and figured this was the best time to make some homemade turkey soup with noodles! I am sort of surprised either recipe didn't call for the addition of some sort of stock turkey or vegetable? I know that is what the carcass is for but am a little concerned it wiil have enough flavor?

If you are kind enough tommorrow finish up or continue please with your reccomendations it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks to both of you, MAX

You want to make sure you do not boil the carcass should not go above a simmer. I would not say there is a magic formula to know when it is done. You have to taste it. When I make stock I usually add a pinch of salt to the spoon im tasting with to get the true flavor because I add the salt to the soup at the last minute. This method should leave you with a HIGHLY flavorful stock. Turkey stock has much more flavor then chicken stock imo. I like to keep the noodles and the soup seperate and add hot noodles to the bowl and mix it in the there so the noodles don't get soggy and soak up all the broth. For veg I would use carrot, onion, celery, garlic and parsnips. A good does of thyme would be nice in there as well.

I am sort of surprised either recipe didn't call for the addition of some sort of stock turkey or vegetable? I know that is what the carcass is for but am a little concerned it wiil have enough flavor?

Max.......in the thread I linked, if you can read through it (I know it is difficult because all the special characters got corrupted with the transition to the Huddler platform), the first half of the post talks about making stock, and then the second half of the post talks about making the soup using the stock.

For another post about making stocks, see here in the recipe forum:

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/652753/tips-techniques-and-various-other-musings#post_7878516

You can certainly use store bought stock/broth, even to use in place of some of the water in making your own stock, but be sure it is low sodium, or else your stock will come out too salty.

Well Steve, Jersey and Reed the carcass went on a little bit ago! Got to get some parsnips but other than that I have evrything so we will see....... stay tuned and thanks again!

Feel free to add tips as you think of them if you do. The don't boil carcass was a good one cause that is what I would have done!

Max…

I perused thru the bumped up turkey day threads and I’ve been likewise simmering up stock from the picked over carcass for the past few years…SIM’s concoction looks exceedingly yummy in and of itself but it’s also a superlative jumping off point for post-Thanksgiving good eats…

This readily adaptable wild rice version appeared in the food section here over the holidays…just mind the cooking time lest your rice turn to mush…

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2011/11/20/roast-turkey-and-wild-rice-soup/

A couple holidays previous, I heavily thickened some stock over the stove with a roux and heavy cream, hintingly splashed in a spoonful or two of white wine and Courvoisier (along with some sautéed shrooms) and ladled the stuff into some ramekins topped with buttery layers of egg-washed puff pastry…finished up in the oven and it was ridiculous good…

Good luck and good eats…

Good gosh slipknot that sounds OUT OF CONTROL! I really like this section of the site lota good ideas and stuff here! Good eats to you as well my friend! MAX