Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BNickW

New Sliders

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

After finding great love for the slider this season I wanted to start puting a little more effort into the design and carve them up a little. They are 4.5 inches long and between 2.25-2.75 oz. Made 3 med sink rate and 3 slower. I get a little better at building them every time. I have made a few with the lead poured directly into the wood. No problems yet. First foil job on the green head. Came out pretty bad but gotta start somewhere. Just saw Arsenal's last foil, makes mine look like I did it with my feet. Something to aspire to.[img=a><a href=[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2535871/width/600/height/450][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2535873/width/600/height/450][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2535875/width/600/height/450][img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2535877/width/525/height/700]http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2535878/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

looking good…but don’t compare your stuff to others, if anything let it motivate you to create your own profiles

question? are you turning these on a lathe and then flattening the sides? Nothing wrong with that but Just food for thought….I would recommend checking out how a bunch of guys do hand carves (I think Ted “The Greek”) may have the best or at least most recent how to posted.

he and many others basically rips wood to the desired thickness and cuts the outline out on a band saw or scroll saw. After that he rounds the edges over with strips of sand paper cut from a belt sander.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Evil, Im thinking some of your tails might look pretty sweet on a batch in the future. Let me know if you are intrested in some trades. First2 I have the tendancy to do stuff a little backwards sometimes. Thanks for the tip. Alsways looking to improve the process. I was looking at the last batch after I had thinned them out and realized that I need a band saw very soon.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Evil, Im thinking some of your tails might look pretty sweet on a batch in the future. Let me know if you are intrested in some trades. First2 I have the tendancy to do stuff a little backwards sometimes. Thanks for the tip. Alsways looking to improve the process. I was looking at the last batch after I had thinned them out and realized that I need a band saw very soon.

Trade sounds great to me...dont have any sliders at all ...when your ready so will I...thanks steve

don’t compare your stuff to others, if anything let it motivate you to create your own profiles

Agreed.

Nice work . I also have a love of making/fishing sliders and did well on them this year. I guess I am one of the ones, like first2wins mentioned, who makes them without a lathe. Don't own one...or a bandsaw for that matter. Was thinking when I noticed your pic with the unpainted blanks with the ends on that you probably could have gotten 2 sliders out of the same thickness piece of wood you used to turn one if you had started with a blank close to the final thickness.

Good luck with them.

Thanks Max. Much appreciated! Jmac you are very right about the amount of waste that I have going in that batch. Definately need to be more conscious of that. Next batch Im gonna try cutting a thinner blank, drawing the profile, jigsaw out the shape and carving from there. I do enjoy the lathe though.:) By the way Jmac your sliders are what started me down this path. Your stuff is great! Keep up the good work.

Nice work!

Again - sharing the profile and weighting is appreciated :)

Do you balance these so they sink level, or prefer them a different way?

Cheers from another slider fan :th:

Lurch

Thanks Lurch. Had a blast over in England this August for a buddys wedding! Such a great place. Unfortunately no fishing for me while we were there.

The sliders are fairly level. A little tail down. Rod tip up and work on the surface like a spook. Rod tip down and goes subsurface. The slower the retrive the deeper you can get it. I actually had you in mind when I posted. I recall your love of the slider.

By the way Jmac your sliders are what started me down this path. Your stuff is great! Keep up the good work.

Thank you and I am glad that my plugs inspired you to make them. I like how you made them uniquely your own. :th: YOU keep up the good work.