Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
biggestsquid

Load Range E

31 posts in this topic

I have a F250 Super Duty Crew Cab and am ready to put on some new sneaks. The truck spec requires Load Range E. I rarely carry anything other than fishing gear and it isunlikely that I have ever exceeded a 1200 lb load let alone approached the actual GVW. I have gotten some mixed feedback in regards to going to a lighter load range.

I am turning over my Michelin XCEs which have 70K on them. I don't want to invest that kind of $$$ as my rig has 215K and is soon to be relegated to a backup piece --- beach specific. I'm looking for a smooth tread, nothing aggressive, and also something that carries 45-50 lbs in lieu of the 70 in these load range Es.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Biggestsquid

stay away from e range tires unless you are hauling weight most of the time.

just get p265's if you're running empty most of the time.

265's are more than enough tire for an empty pick up.

Look at a tire manufactures load range chart,http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-ko-tires

I ran BFG LT315/75R16/D(3195@50) on the beach in my Dodge 2500.They worked pretty good,I used the mud tire but an AT would probably work for you.

I have a F250 Super Duty Crew Cab and am ready to put on some new sneaks. The truck spec requires Load Range E. I rarely carry anything other than fishing gear and it isunlikely that I have ever exceeded a 1200 lb load let alone approached the actual GVW. I have gotten some mixed feedback in regards to going to a lighter load range.

I am turning over my Michelin XCEs which have 70K on them. I don't want to invest that kind of $$$ as my rig has 215K and is soon to be relegated to a backup piece --- beach specific. I'm looking for a smooth tread, nothing aggressive, and also something that carries 45-50 lbs in lieu of the 70 in these load range Es.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Biggestsquid

I understand wanting putting less expensive tires on your rig.

I understand that you don't ever carry weight in your rig.

I understand since the rig is older it won't be used as much.

If you put tires on your rig that are less that what the manufacturer has listed for your rig, and you sell the truck with the lesser tires and the new owner loads the truck to the legal limits and a tire fails, can it be your responsibility?

I would opt for an LT w/a load range C or D, a C range has a maximum inflation of 50#, I believe a D range tire is 60 or 65#?

If you check the weight ratings I believe these will be awful close to your GVW or at least close enough to work, A P rated tire on a heavier truck may feel a bit squishy on the road, plus an LT will take the drop in pressure on the beach better.

I understand wanting putting less expensive tires on your rig.

I understand that you don't ever carry weight in your rig.

I understand since the rig is older it won't be used as much.

If you put tires on your rig that are less that what the manufacturer has listed for your rig, and you sell the truck with the lesser tires and the new owner loads the truck to the legal limits and a tire fails, can it be your responsibility?

Jim,

Gotcha pal --- but that ol' F250 you saw will never be passed on to another owner. You make a good point, and being from Philly I am most aware of lawsuits. It is interesting that some tire stores will tell you that they cannot put a tire on that is less tahn spec while others tell you that they'll put on whatever you request. I don't mind spending money on tires but $200.00 per for the Michelins that I am now replacing is probably not well spent on the unit with 215K miles. I think I would replace them for dry rot and not wear. I'm going after the new sneaks this afternoon and will probably go with Firestone, something I haven't touched in 30 years, just because a friend and patron of our business owns a Firestone store.

I'm thinking about dropping down one load range but am going to sound it off one more fleet supt and motor head before making the call. Not that it will make a big ride difference but this boney old butt is getting a little tired (sic) of that 70 PSI ride in the F250.

I'm ordering a new F150 will likely have them put Michelins on that --- unless it is ridiculous in which case I'll use up teh first set. As mucha s it gripes meI have not been able to find a U.S. tire that performs as well as that French rubber!! I remember the Dunlop Gold Seals and the General Dual 90s --- also the Firestones (500?) that used to fly apart, but Michelins have never let me down, wear like iron yet still have a good grip on the road.

See you at ramp 23 for spring drum --- I hope. Should start hammering on the shack in Bath next month!

Cheers,

I always changed out my past pick-up truck tires to LTs...either C or D, dependent on what truck I had at the time. I did find the D range to be the best option for a full size truck. Unfortunately, you'll find that the typical LT sizes to fit a full size truck from the major manufacturers end up being quite pricey anyway .

The load range E's are important if you're trailering, carry heavy loads or a slide on camper. In addition to the E's 'buckboard' ride, they don't float well on sand and are a royal pain to air 'down and up' all those extra pounds.

With regards to the legal aspect...not sure whether the manufacturer specs are requirements or recommendations, but I believe the vehicle's weight rating is the key. Considering there are typically various tire options available from dealers on new vehicles, I would guess as long as the tires meet the vehicle's weight rating, they would pass an inspection and would be street legal...just my opinion though, in case any lawyers see this. :)

I pondered this a little more and went with the load range Cs. At 2470 capacity per tire they are approximately 800 lbs each less capacity then the load range Es but still exceed the trucks maximim axle capacity --- so I'm not concerned anout the legality --- just the ride. I didn't notice any significant difference on the road except for the smoothness of new highway tread tires.

There was a pleasant difference on the beach. I only dropped to 25 lbs and the tires worked great. I didn't run very far but I think they may be the ticket for the beach. For a few dollars, 20 each, I could have gone to load range Es --- but the dealer I chose had aggressive threads on all of his Es and I didn't want to go down that road. Road trip next week ---we'll see if there is any fuel savings or loss issues. My inspection station says that the rules say the tires need to have adequate tread for isnpection --- nothing about be manu specs.

Again -- to Longcaster's point --- living near Philly and frequently driving in NJ any driver always has a target on their back for a lawsuit --- it is shyster heaven. I will tell you that the Feds are after snowplow manufacturers to assure that all attachments come off the front of any truck with a plow hitch --- when the plow is not in use. The light manus have done this for a while but now they want us to be able to readily remove the hitches from large trucks whenever the plow comes off. There is no doubt that plow hitches really mess up a vehicle if they hit it ------ but I just wonder when rod and cooler racks will be banned!!! It's coming as these bastages tell us how to eat, drink and think!!!

I can see the day when anything not factory issue will be verbotten.

Garr,

I purchased Firestone LEs. My friends, and customers, recently purchased a tire store so I went with them. I'm interested to see how they hold up as I haven't run FS in over 20 years. Like I said -- they seem to be great in the sand.

Garr,

I purchased Firestone LEs. My friends, and customers, recently purchased a tire store so I went with them. I'm interested to see how they hold up as I haven't run FS in over 20 years. Like I said -- they seem to be great in the sand.

I have been running a set of Firestone Destination A/Ts (Size 265X75X16, The Low load range 114S), on my Cherokee for 2 years & 25K miles now with no issues, they show almost no wear + I Air up & down ALOT, The Jeep is used as a Get to the Beach/Fishing/Drive to work in the Snow vehicle & gets used HARD.

Firestone has come a long way in the last few years.