Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will K

What say you - switch for "euro" nymphing??

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi there folks.

I was pondering a switch rod recently. this would really be a 1 river rod, so pondering is the operative term. But, then I realized that being very long, it may also be great for long leader/short line nymphing (like "euro" style nymph fishing).

what I wonder is if the rod would end up a bit heavy for that application or said better, combersome.

I know it would not be the best for a spey style cast - but it would be better I believe than my single handed spey casts on this river... And not the best "euronymphing" rod... but, it hit me that this may be a really nice Jack of all trades combo...

Any one try that in the past or feel that I'm just being a nut job in thinking this might be a good aplication?

Will, As much as I dislike the concept of switch rods I have been using a Echo 4wt switch this year in freshwater for just what you are thinking about doing. It has been sort of my euro/tenkara/TH/SH/spey/skagit/etc... do it all rod and has performed very well no matter what configurations I needed it to be. I hate to admit it but I have had a blast with this on 20'+ trout, carp, SMB, and shad. Rajeff has a winner with this stick!

Euro nymphing rods are max four weight and often three weight for a reason, you want the lightest most sensitive tip pssible. These things push the envelope for length without getting too willowy to quickly set the hook while using light tippets. I think that even the lightest switch rod would be awful at this job, way too heavy.

JC

I like to use my TFO DC 11ft 4wt and Echo DH 11'9" 4wt for multi purpose trout spey/euro nymphing rods.

The Two Handed rods are excellent due to balance,,, the upper grip area is a neutral balace point and much less tiring than a traditional single hand 10ft or 11ft rod.

Regards,

FK

There's czech nymphing and then there is the 27 foot long mono tapered leader method used to cast two copper or tungsten beaded nymphs. No fly line leaves the reel. You are casting the actual nymphs which really are like two split shot. Over here the Guys use 10 foot 3 wt special purpose rods. Its to me a bit like clear water worming. For this style then the rod you are describing will not be that helpful. But heh sometimes you just have to go figure stuff for yourself. Its amazing what you can get a rod to do for you if you work at it.

Mike

FK I almost bought that DecHogan 4wt and probably would have if I planned to do more euro/tenkara/ Czech type fishing than other techniques. But being an old heavy saltwater TH fly guy it would of been just too big a jump in rod actions to keep me comfortable at that time. The Echo Switch 4wt had an action I could adjust to easier. I have been playing with various switch rod casting styles like Skagit etc.... In large local rivers mostly but I have made this lil stick do various multi purpose roles including Czech nymphing.

I was using a Tenkara rod but found it awkward with nothing to keep my second hand busy ;)

"Jim DE"

I was using a Tenkara rod but found it awkward with nothing to keep my second hand busy

Interesting,,,, I also played with Tenkara this summer,,,,, it also was difficult not having any cork for the lower hand.

I have fished for trout and smallmouth with a light spey rod for the past three years, traded most of my single hand rods for DH.

Short casts with just the leader when they only want small Caddis drys, or larger bunny streamers with T-8, T-11 tips.

Regards,

FK

Thanks for the great info guys. I appreciate your food for thought. I think I'm going to do a little ebay scowering and just see what's out there, maybe see if I can cast one a bit...

I appreciate the help!

Will

There is one setup which interests me and might suit for you. New TFO BVK 8Ft 3wt and they have a conversation kit (TH handle and another section) which makes it 10Ft 5pc Switch rod. Here it is used to TH Spey cast a Wulff Ambush 20Ft 235gr head and 15Ft 55gr Rio VersiLeader without overload symptoms.

Of course price goes up but actually there are THREE rods:

8Ft single hand overhead rod (of course cast Spey as well when needed)

10Ft SH OH and Spey rod (perhaps 4wt line or 3wt with a polyleader is needed) This might be light enough for Nymphing.

10Ft two hand OH and Spey rod

But video makes me think is it a "true" 3wt rod?

That's an interesting option Crunch... I have a local dealer for TFO, I may be able to play with that. I'd pondered burning cabelas cc points on one of their LSi switch rods, or maybe a wildwater switch rod... they are both cheaper than the TFO... but the adaptability could be interesting. I'd want to play with it though becuase that adjustability also seems like it could mess with things a bit...