Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twohand

What brand downrigger

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking of putting downriggers on my boat. Pole holder removable installation. Boat is a 2002 Wellcraft 270 Coastal. For those of you with downrigger experience what brand/model would you recommend?

Thanx

Greg

Cannons are always great. They are easy to use. I believe they make a saltwater version of some of them. ive used them all and i think that the cannons are better suited for Rod Holder mounted application.

i have a pair of penns, 4" boom, rod holder mounted. ez to use, work well and have help up well in sw use, would buy again.

never used canon downriggers, so can't compare.

i do however prefer the canon release clips.

user can't be careless when setting out & bringing in, those weights are heavy and potentially dangerous / damaging.

Cant go wrong with either.

I will say, I've used a pair of penns quite a bit in the past....call it extreme torture testing. Big Z-wings at the canyon at 7-8 knots out of rod holder mounts. Loaded up, the rig was downright scary, that wire was humming, we'd all run for the bridge when one had to be humped up. They never missed a beat.

Take a look at scotty downriggers before you make a decision. I"ve had Walker, Cannon, and Scotty models over the years, and scotty's are what I have stayed with. Lifetime warranty, tough as nails, simple design, all adds up to a winning combination for me.

I've used them in the ocean for salmon, trolled bays for halibut, stripers in the CA Delta, and in lakes for mackinaw. 5 years on the current pair, no problems at all.

I agree with the Scotty recommendation.  Where I fish, Washington and Alaska, Scotties are the most used, toughest and have the best warranty...everything covered for life, even if you buy a used one.

I am thinking of putting downriggers on my boat. Pole holder removable installation. Boat is a 2002 Wellcraft 270 Coastal. For those of you with downrigger experience what brand/model would you recommend?

Thanx

Greg

Are you in NJ? I may know of a used set up.