Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bostich36

Where to find White Leggers

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I know the shop at the Belmar fishing center had them a few weeks back. I'd bet they still do because they run a lot of blackfish trips outta that marina.

John

Yes the Fishermen Den sells them. Just got some Sat.

I know the shop at the Belmar fishing center had them a few weeks back. I'd bet they still do because they run a lot of blackfish trips outta that marina.

John

Yes the Fishermen Den sells them. Just got some Sat.

Do they sell them by the dozen or by the bushel? Do you remember how much they cost?

I use to think White leggers were not worth the extra cost until recently. I always use Green Crabs first, then if the guys using Whites start catching I do the logical thing. $9 for a dozen is a lot for bait as you will need at least 4 or 5 dozen pluse Green Crabs. The cost is kind of justified as Whites are not as hardy as Green Crabs. It almost cheaper to go on an open boat trip with a boat that supplies them.

Atlantic Bait & Tackle, recently posted on another forum that he had them.

I dont know of any boat that just gives them away. Some boats have them and you have to pay per dozen. White crab supply can be limited though so you're not always guaranteed the baits. Do you need whites to catch blackfish, usually not. Better to have them always, especially this time of year.

I fished on the Calypso yesterday and the Fischer Price III two weeks ago and both boats supplied them "free" of cost. Keep in mind they both charge around $125 per man for an 8hr trip. Both boats have upcoming open boat Tog trips schedule for the next two weeks. Yesterday we left the dock at 6:00 and didn't get back in until 5:00. Capt. Jim gave us an extra hour since the bite was a little slow. We ended up with 27 keepers and I am sure we would have had more if we had a few more seasoned tog fishermen on board. A couple of the guys were knew to this fishery and yesterdays bite was super scratchy.