Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Polls: Atheists about as trustworthy as rapists

Rate this topic

181 posts in this topic

This should be good for some spirited discussion.

bucktooth.gif

Web commentary:

http:// reason . com /blog/2011/12/01/believers-rate-atheists-about-as-trustwo

Link to study:

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~ara/Manuscripts/Gervais%20et%20al-%20Atheist%20Distrust.pdf

Quote:

Recent polls indicate that atheists are among the least liked people in areas with religious majorities (i.e., in most of the world). The sociofunctional approach to prejudice, combined with a cultural evolutionary theory of religion's effects on cooperation, suggest that anti-atheist prejudice is particularly motivated by distrust. Consistent with this theoretical framework, a broad sample of American adults revealed that distrust characterized anti-atheist prejudice, but not anti-gay prejudice (Study 1). In subsequent studies, distrust of atheists generalized even to participants from more liberal, secular populations. A description of a criminally untrustworthy individual was seen as comparably representative of atheists and rapists…

"Recent polls indicate that atheists are among the least liked people in areas with religious majorities"

And this comes as a surprise. :huh: I can't understand how an intelligent person can believe in god and not believe in the devil, or ghosts, witches, and zombies.

I do not like atheists because there are never the "non-practicing kind."

Non-practicing catholics, jews , other religions are not annoying.

The door knocking religions are annoying.

Atheists are annoying because they always throw out there how ******* smart they are to NOT believe in God, or boo hoo they saw something so terrible they can no longer believe.

I do not like atheists because they are never the "non-practicing kind."

Atheists are annoying because they always throw out there how ******* smart they are to NOT believe in God, or boo hoo they saw something so terrible they can no longer believe.

Yeah.

Practicing atheists Dawkins and Hitchens are not known for their winsomeness.

smugness exists on both sides,

I don't believe in unicorns,

but I don't discuss that fact often,

I guess if there was a group that believed in unicorns,

and smugly asserted that anyone who doesn't believe in unicorns in just the right way, will burn in hell,

I might become more vocal about my non unicorn beliefs.

I'm not comparing God to unicorns,

I just explaining why someone might become motivated to trumpet their Anicorn postions.

If unicornists claimed I was as trustworthy as a rapist because I didn't believe in unicorns,

I might have something to say.

not sure what it proves, other than religious people disdain atheists.

Most of the believers I know don't disdain atheists, on the contrary, they are disquieted not by atheists but for them.

This because of those believers' loving concern for Man.

Yeah.

Dawkins is an ass. I read some of his book "The God Delusion". For a guy who rants about science so much he should try to adhere to the scientific method instead of waxing superior while presenting a quasi scientific emotionally driven and opinion based "proof" that there is no god. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. He basically attempts to claim the opposite all the while condescending.

I'm agnostic and could care less what you believe, but don't get on my case about it or talk down to me.

I do not like atheists because they are never the "non-practicing kind."

OK Einstein

your claim is that atheists cannot keep their opinions to themselves

do you have anything to back this up, or is only by experience

And if it's only by experience, how were able to rule out that atheists who don't always throw out how ******* smart they are do not exist?

Yeah.

Dawkins is an ass. I read some of his book "The God Delusion". For a guy who rants about science so much he should try to adhere to the scientific method instead of waxing superior while presenting a quasi scientific emotionally driven and opinion based "proof" that there is no god. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. He basically attempts to claim the opposite all the while condescending.

I'm agnostic and could care less what you believe, but don't get on my case about it or talk down to me.

It is the condescending attitude of both atheists and believers , especially the religions that proselyitize as their main objective, that annoys the **** out of me.

The global wArmists are approaching a religion IMO. They exhibit all the condescending traits based on faith in the unknown subjective material. And they become overemotional when they talk about it…"look at that poor cute wittle pOlar bear".

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over