Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xiaolu

[Some pics] My fishing in Rhode Island this past Saturday (Dec 3)

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Have been in Providence and Warwick/West Greenwich in Rhode Island on a business trip for over a week. As I don't have to work during the weekend, and have a rental car, I drove around last Saturday, and did some fishing at a pond off RI-2/S County Trail not too far from I-95 Exit 3 in South Kingstown.

Weather was nice. I did some shore fishing, and caught lot of sunfish, bluegills, perch, etc. Also tried with trout baits and lures for trout but didn't catch anything (though I did see a few guys fishing next to me landed a couple of nice trouts).

The pond and the area are very very scenic, too. It's simply beautiful!

(Also, sometime early in the morning last week I also did some shore fishing at Tiogue Lake near the hotel where I am staying, but didn't catch anything at all. I once fished the same spot in the summer last year, and caught lots of fish at the time, though)

PS: I have yet to stay here for another full weekend, so it's time I go and explore some other places (lakes or ponds) ...

I tried to include some pics in this post with the HTML tab [ img ], my pics URL, and [ / img ] (without white space in between), but it didn't work for me (The post after submitted just shows the HTML tab and my pic's URL, instead of showing the actual pics)

Ok, managed to use the "Insert Image" button above to insert a few pics here (of my last Saturday's fishing):

rent2.jpg

rent3.jpg

rent5.jpg

rent21.jpg

rent22.jpg

rent23.jpg

Good you could get out before the weather turn (if it ever does this year) Should have tried the beaches as the blues are still running and could be reached with light tackle.

barbers pond....there are decent bass in there too...

I have pulled a few decent ones out of there myself and a bunch of trout!

Thanks for the replies and for the new info.

By the way, in case (just in case) anyone wondering what I am doing here in Rhode Island, I am, as a software developer, working at company's headquarter office in Rhode Island, and with one of the company's external small/independent consulting company here. At this very moment I am at this consulting company's office with this consulting company's owner and staff. Did I mention the owner? He was one of the official candidates running for Governor of Rhode Island at the state's last election (in Nov 2010), but he lost, receiving/winning close to 6.5% of votes finishing in the 4th place, I think:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mofish View Post

Great stuff xiaolu. icon14.gif Really love the second picture. What kind of camera you using?

Thanks for the reply. I love that 2nd photo I took, too (with half of the fish in water)!!!:-)

PS: I was using a simple and about-3-year-old-model "point & shoot "Canon PowerShot SD790 IS" digital camera.

rent3.jpg

Thanks for the replies and for the new info.

By the way, in case (just in case) anyone wondering what I am doing here in Rhode Island, I am, as a software developer, working at company's headquarter office in Rhode Island, and with one of the company's external small/independent consulting company here. At this very moment I am at this consulting company's office with this consulting company's owner and staff. Did I mention the owner? He was one of the official candidates running for Governor of Rhode Island at the state's last election (in Nov 2010), but he lost, receiving/winning close to 6.5% of votes finishing in the 4th place, I think:-)

he's the one who took votes away and we ended up with this goof for a gov.....................have a nice time fishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayMan View Post

he's the one who took votes away and we ended up with this goof for a gov.....................have a nice time fishing

He took votes away? Is he extreme or MODERATE, then?

There's a 'beast' in that pond.

For the past 3 years every 1 1/4+ trout I caught = every single one = had a huge bite mark across their bellies.

You could even see where a few teeth were missing.

I am moving to Newport today and will stay there for a night before I come back to Providence tomorrow. I wonder or assume my RI freshwater fishing license is no good for fishing anywhere in Newport, or am I off? Thanks!

Your freshwater licence is still good in Newport - fish the Melville Ponds in Portsmouth. You also may want to fish for mackerel on the piers and bulkheads at Fort Adams in Newport. Good mackerel run happens every December until the weather gets bad. Silver metal spoons or diamond jigs. 1/2 -3/4 ounce. Good luck.

Stop by the Salt Water Edge in Middletown - 47 Valley Road - best stocked tackle shop in Rhode Island.

DZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ View Post

Your freshwater licence is still good in Newport - fish the Melville Ponds in Portsmouth. You also may want to fish for mackerel on the piers and bulkheads at Fort Adams in Newport. Good mackerel run happens every December until the weather gets bad. Silver metal spoons or diamond jigs. 1/2 -3/4 ounce. Good luck.

Stop by the Salt Water Edge in Middletown - 47 Valley Road - best stocked tackle shop in Rhode Island.

DZ

Hi DZ, thank you very very much for this wonderful info! (I worried about if my freshwater fishing license is good in/around Newport as I thought Newport is next to sea so maybe we are looking at saltwater fishing:-)