Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newbee

Need Help

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I want to surf fish on rockaway beach but want to know which beach I can surf fish and at what times.... Also I only take a train and don't have a car.. Can anyone help me with any advice?  I heard about beach 30 but I need help.. Also should I use spoons and plugs? Or what bait should I use? What fish can I catch there?  If anyone can help I will be very greatful. I don't want to be there and not have a clue.. 

Thank you....

thanks captain Jack... I didn't know the area of where to fish is a sensative nature.. Like I said I am a newbee and just want some help and direction so I can have a good start and be a good Urban fisherman... 

Can anybody help me...I would like to know when is the best months to surf fish for blues and strippers in rockaway or any beach in Nyc?????? I would like to use some lures that I bought and test them out.... Thank you for any advice and happy holidays....

NB , By the date of your origional post , on a normal year in the surf , you would'nt need to be asking for assistance. Yes, particular locations you will not find here just by asking.( Spotburnig ) My advice to you is do some homework over the winter. Read some old fishing reports,from the Fisherman or Noreast weekly mags. circulated at your local " tackle shops ". Good Luck to you ...

thanks for the help...  ufff  I really understand that spot burning is an issue for all serious fisherman... But honestly 

you guys take it way to seriously... But, its ok though I will do some homework and learn these waters and when the bluefish 

and strippers are most active.. I guess I'm on my own... I just wanted to have a friend fisherman to exchange ideas... 

I live in brooklyn... I know that bunker is the best choice and clams for strippers but I want to step away for that for a second and try surf fishing with fishing lures for a change.. I have pier fishing experience.... I don't want to spot burn or anything like that I just want to catch a few and take some pics and have fun.. I am a catch and release type of guy.... Any help will be very appreciated.. I don't want to step any fisherman boundries or step on anyones toes.. I just want to learn....

Fort Tilden and Floyd Bennet Field... both accessible by bus and both will produce fish. Go to the tackle shops in Sheepshead Bay and have them show you a few lures that will catch fish.

Good Luck. :)

Call this "spot burning" but SOME things are inflammable.

You live in Brooklyn, you want to fish in the ocean. Look at a map.

There is Coney Island (go ALL the way WEST, to avoid swimmers.)

There is Brighton (go all the way EAST to avoid swimmers.)

There is Manhattan Beach....which you will have to figure out for yourself.

It is much too cold now. But daytime exploration will show you where to go, NEXT year.

There is Rockaway, and you do not have a car, so you're restricted to "shank's mare" from the subway.

ANYPLACE in the WORLD, if you find a spot that a BAY empties into the OCEAN on an OUTGOING tide, your odds improve.

Don't turn your nose up at bait.

Bring a small rod, use a small hook, with worms, squid, or Chicken McNuggets .

Catch LOCAL bait, put it on the big rod immediately, while it wiggles. Fishfinder from the beach, float from a pier, jetty or bulkhead.

(I guarantee you that ANYTHING that wiggles will outcatch "twice frozen bunker.")

Join a LOCAL club. Nothing exceeds LOCAL knowlege.

Stop into "Cross Bay B&T" and tell them someone on SOL sent you. BUY SOMETHING.

THEN ask "where should I fish?"

TACKLE SHOPS are in the "spot burning" business.

You may take the boy out of Brooklyn, but you'll never get Brooklyn out of the boy!

I fished Steeplechase Pier, Canarsie Pier, and everything in between, but 50 years ago.

AMMO

Strippers are usually most active between 11 pm and 2 or 3 am. Depending on what recreational "activities" they have been doing, it may be later.

Hope that helps:D

P.S. We do not take spotburning too seriously. You are new to this game, most here aren't and have been the ones burned on a hot bite. I don't want to sound like a **** but most of us have earned our stripes (no pun intended) by doing our homework and figuring out the certain spots we fish. To give that hard earned information to anyone who asks is foolish. If you want to learn you have to fish.

Most guys here will help out new blood with technique and tactics. That is never a problem. If you want to know where I catch large you will have to stalk me and I can be pretty good at avoiding a tail. :p

One more thing. You have one chance to change your name here on SOL. Once you aren't a "newbee' anymore you will regret picking that screen name. Send a PM to TimS and change it to something more fitting for your personality.

Welcome to SOL!