CHIEF500

Merry Christmas Todd from the Berkeley Striper Club

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

Good info, wrong place.

East Coast surfcasters in general, do not wear any type of float. Its not a bad suggestion, just maybe a little out of place in an emotional thread like this.

If my post is out of place please have a moderator move it to a place it won't trouble you so much.

IMHO this incident should not be cause for celebration but a time to reflect on how to prevent it from happening again.

Good info, wrong place.

East Coast surfcasters in general, do not wear any type of float. Its not a bad suggestion, just maybe a little out of place in an emotional thread like this.

If my post is out of place please have a moderator move it to a place it won't trouble you so much.

IMHO this incident should not be cause for celebration but a time to reflect on how to prevent it from happening again.

Your post is not out of place IMO and I think what you feel is celebration is actually reflection by many of the posters. Yes, there was a happy ending, thankfully, but luck was involved in the when and where. Perhaps with equipment upgrades and/or other actions the outcome could always be the same without others help, don't know. I did research the item you posted and others like it including a video of how they actually work. I'm not sure I'm buying one just yet but I will be using 2 belts and thinking before acting for the immediate future. It's sort of like jetty fishing - I have a plan as to where I'm going to land a fish and I'm dressed, not in waders, in case I get washed in. No PFD yet but this threads been an eye-opener.

You're on the money, Bunnymoney!  Quite appropriate to mention PFDs  I've been wondering where my Orvis inflatable suspenders are ... and whether they'd be any value or not in surf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasea View Post

My friend Min who I was fishing with that day just told me about this thread....and I have to say, this was difficult to read. When I got to the post with the pictures, I had to walk away.

My wife just washed that lucky t-shirt of mine along with the rest of my clothes from that day. She couldn't believe how heavy the bag of wet clothes were. I picked the shirt up this morning and smelled it, not sure why.

Every single time I go out I learn a few things and that's what brings me back. It's an awesome challenge to find these elusive striped bass and I'm hooked for life. This last trip has taught me a lot, not only about fishing, but about really appreciating life and being the best human being you can be. You hear it all the time, when people are involved in life threatening events and it changes them forever. This one trip has done just that.....I appreciate everything now, all the little things that you take for granted, now all have 10X more meaning. I don't even mind traffic anymore.

The last few days have been a mental roller coaster....I can't stop thinking about the events of that day and randomly break into tears thinking about what I almost lost. I keep replaying it in my mind, every second of it, and can't believe how lucky I was to have been around an experienced group of guys that knew how to think fast and react as they did. Talk about a money cast....I heard Steven yell, "grab the line" and as I look up I see the most beautiful looking moss green braid I have ever seen just inches from my head. I think these guys were all wearing their lucky t-shirts that day, even if they didn't know it when they geared up that morning. You just never think something like this is ever going to happen to you or anyone you know. I was thinking that when I was out there, that this can't really be happening....but it was.

BTW, yes that white pole is indeed mine, was a present from my father a few yrs ago. He asked what I wanted for xmas this year and I told him a new pole.

Thank you Min, Steven, JM and everyone else who helped me get back safely to shore.....from the bottom of my heart.

If anyone asks you what you want from Santa this year, tell 'em a lucky t-shirt. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Merry Christmas everyone

This past weekend we participated in the BSC tagging tournament once again. It's been 2 years since the Todd event happened and not day on the beach goes by that I don't think about this and remember the incident, how it happened and how it went down. We spoke of the incident when we got together this weekend. I think it will be something that stays with all of us involved for the rest of our lives. I have a few of incidents that run through my mind every now and then, most are fire department related have no where near the happy outcome of this one.

Todd & Min you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a great holiday season. I hope to see you guys on the beach  again one day soon. To my BSC & SOL friends I wish you all the best during this holiday season and look forward to time spent on the beach with each of you again soon.

Andy

This past weekend we participated in the BSC tagging tournament once again. It's been 2 years since the Todd event happened and not day on the beach goes by that I don't think about this and remember the incident, how it happened and how it went down. We spoke of the incident when we got together this weekend. I think it will be something that stays with all of us involved for the rest of our lives. I have a few of incidents that run through my mind every now and then, most are fire department related have no where near the happy outcome of this one.

Todd & Min you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a great holiday season. I hope to see you guys on the beach  again one day soon. To my BSC & SOL friends I wish you all the best during this holiday season and look forward to time spent on the beach with each of you again soon.

Andy

Thanks Andy! Hope you have a great holiday season as well. I barely went fishing since this incident. Maybe a handful of times but I was able to go a month ago to the park and I remembered this as if it was yesterday. Thank God you guys were there that day. I wish I can make it to the meetings but with the drive, my job and now with a little one keeping me up every night it's really difficult. Happy holidays to everyone at BSC! I will never forget this and hope to see you guys soon!

More than a bump.A lot of new guys and girls have gotten into surfcasting,You have to realize the danger on a sandbar with heavy water. Allergies are acting up again reading this for the first time in many years,had to share it with a dear friend. This stayed with me as it did to all involved . Be safe that ocean don't care and won't quit