Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Roof venting material?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What is everyone using out there, me, I've used cobra vent for years because I felt comfortable with it, but I'm curious as to what other people use and why, I'm doing a house right now that has some serious venting problems, ended up tearing off all the plywood on the roof because it was all rotted, all the way up to the peak, cape style roof, 44ft long by 16ft up 6pitch roof, hardly any soffit venting, only 6 inches of insulation in the attic, I'm going to re-vent the soffit with a vinly perforated soffit, remove all the insulation in the attic, re-proper vent everything and then blow in a r-40 blow in insulation, also blocked off the gable end vents, not much more i can do to it to help alleviate this problem, thanks matt :)

700Matt,

A couple of things:

1. When you remove the insulation, it would be helpful if you had a foam gun and several cans of foam and gun cleaner. it sounds like there is a serious moisture infiltration problem with that attic, and when you remove the insulation, you will likely find air leaks around pipes, electrical penetrations and top plates. here's apicture of a doozy from my attic. the gun foam will seal the leaks right up, and then you can have peace of mind when you blow the cellulose on top.

2. Relative to roof venting, I would avoid Cobra roll like the plague. I put the stuff on my roof in July of 2002 and was very careful not to compress it during installation. However, it compressed on its own and became filled with dust, crud etc....after a while, I had no more ridge vent. The house would never cool off in the summer, even with the AC cranking, and I started getting ice dams in winter despite a layer of spray foam insulation and two feet of cellulose. One day I got ticked off, removed the useless cobra roll and replaced it with rigid plastic roof vent that can't be compressed. Immediately, the house was cooler, and the ice dams stopped when winter came. as before, if it were me, I'd avoid that useless roll cr@p at all costs. Just my 2 cents. [ATTACHMENT=3502]atticairleak4.jpg (907k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I agree with avoiding the cobra "roll" vent. I usually go with the Cobra Ridgid Vent or the snow country vent...far superior to the roll style.

I never use the roll stuff anymore. I don't even think it works at all.

a little update on this thread, I talked with a rep from GAF, even he said the rolled stuff stinks, so I used the snow country, it takes a little bit more time to put down but I think it's a better product, so from now on that's what I'm using, going to take the GAF certification class this winter to become a GAF certified installer,

a little update on this thread, I talked with a rep from GAF, even he said the rolled stuff stinks, so I used the snow country, it takes a little bit more time to put down but I think it's a better product, so from now on that's what I'm using, going to take the GAF certification class this winter to become a GAF certified installer,

Those certification classes are great and may give you an edge on selling a job over somebody who isnt manufacture certified. Im certified by both GAF and Certainteed.

Those certification classes are great and may give you an edge on selling a job over somebody who isnt manufacture certified. Im certified by both GAF and Certainteed.

certainteed are good shingles also, I myself have certainteed presidentail shingles on my own roof, love them,

certainteed are good shingles also, I myself have certainteed presidentail shingles on my own roof, love them,

Ya I mostly use Certainteed shingles myself unless the homeowner requests something different