12000 baitrunner?

Rate this topic

yj1990

Ok I'll Bite, I bought the Shimano Baitrunner 8000 late last season. I do like it, got use to the power knob on it. Drag is ok for what I do. typically use it for livelining or dead sticking. The baitrunner lever has been reversed compared to the older models. I occasionally use it for fishing plugs, but it is heavier with the added drag system. the price went up a lot in my opinion, but still worth it.

Do a search here, I am sure there are other reviews on it. I plan on buying the 4000 for freshwater, to liveline shiners and perch for lake trout and Bass.

Good luck, I think you will like it.

"Fishing is a Jerk on one end waiting for a Jerk on the other end" Mark Twain

I used to own the 12000D, I'm by no means an expert on the mechanics of the reel, but it does cast nicely and feels a lot more solid and smoother than the cheaper reels i've bought in the past (most okuma baitfeeders).

got rid of the 12000D since I dont use it for live-lining, opted for the saragosa instead, but IMHO, you really can't go wrong with the new baitrunner, its solid, smooth drag, sturdy

If you're casting from shore, I would get the 8000, the 12000 size is really big for repetitive casting, and makes a decent boat reel. 8000 will fit 300yds of 40lb power pro, and is a decent reel for both plugging and bait fishing. Overall, a great reel from my limited experience with it.