Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaseyGhee

Walk or bike

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, Heres a question that I have no way of answering, so I thought I would draw on the experience(s) of our Canal fishermen who ride bikes, or those who ride them non-Canal, and maybe from my point of view, any SoCal riders. So after all that, here is my question (not idle, need your help). Does it take more energy to ride a fishing bike on hard, semi hard or softer surfaces, than walking? Being very long of tooth, I'm trying to lay out some plan of action that my limited, age related, physical capabilities can handle. Please no smart remarks. Thanks and I do appreciate any help you might give me. CaseyGhee

Hi CG,

I can answer this as I have back pain and other problems that do not feel so well esp. early morning. That being said I find it very easy to get on a bike with (2) rods and plug bag and a couple cranks of the pedals then you can coast for quite a ways with NO effort at all! Obivously sand and uphill and all bets are off. I can travel a long ways with a coast while either sitting on bike seat or standing on pedals or a combination of the two to get comfortable.

If you are thinking bike I have a bike I will give you if you can figure a way to bring it with you. All you need is a couple rod holders and a basket and away you go. :wave:

Hope this helps but maybe some of you other guys can chime in?

RR

A bike is the only way to go along the Canal. On foot your not going to travel too far with a couple of rods, bait, or plug bags. You can take a leisurely easy paced ride and cover a lot of ground with little energy expended. A bike will also let you get away from the heavily fished areas near the parking.

I'd suggest a girl's bike with the low crossbar - it lets you swing your leg onto the bike easier, especially if you wear waders or boots.

If there is a strong wind blowing down the canal, a bike can be tough to pedal. When it get real bad I just walk and push my bike, and let the bike carry my gear. Don't spend too much money on your Canal Cruiser. A yard sale or flea market bike works fine. It will be exposed to salt air, salt water and hopefully fish slime and blood!

I ride push bikes a fair bit and I go with the Guys above. The bike is taking your body weight and it takes far less energy to travel a given distance on a bike compared to walking. Another good reason for going for a step through or " Girls " frame is that if you had a mans frame with a top tube you have to cock your leg over and in doing so you would crash your leg into your rods mounted in the rod tubes at the back of your bike.

But be warned there have been thefts of gear from Canal Bikes as they are left at the top whilst the Guys fish and it is so easy for a thief to take gear from the mount. It was happening last year when I was on the Cape in June. I actually spoke with a Police Officer who was patrolling the canal road in his cruiser because of this very same problem. Lovely relaxing way to go fishing.

Mike

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them!! I think most of my "bike" riding will be on sand hard and not so hard. Anyone w/experience on the sand? Please keep the comments coming, I appreciate them. Thanks again CaseyGhee

I second the adult trike, just google tricycle and I'm sure something would come up. I think it might be better in the sand than a two wheeler. Better distribution of weight. With a trike, most come with a basket on the back that you could build a lockbox for, a little theft deterent. Good luck, happy pedaling.