Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techdiver

I'm so confused

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine has been trying to describe how he's been nailing stripers all year in DE. He uses a deceiver, 3-way swivel, and a weight he describes as looking like a Hershey's kiss. Anyone familiar with this setup?

Sounds like he is just three-waying a fly from a boat. Tie the fly to the three way swivel with about an 12-18 " piece of mono, tie a sinker to the swivel with a 2 or 3 foot section of line (however far above the bottom you want your rig), tie the rig to your line, drop it vertically down somewhere there is current, and bounce it along as you drift. The fly will flutter about 2 feet off the bottom and fish will hit it. Theoretically you could also cast and retrieve such a rig from shore, dragging it along the bottom, but I've never tried it.

Sounds like he is just three-waying a fly from a boat. Tie the fly to the three way swivel with about an 12-18 " piece of mono, tie a sinker to the swivel with a 2 or 3 foot section of line (however far above the bottom you want your rig), tie the rig to your line, drop it vertically down somewhere there is current, and bounce it along as you drift. The fly will flutter about 2 feet off the bottom and fish will hit it. Theoretically you could also cast and retrieve such a rig from shore, dragging it along the bottom, but I've never tried it.

The mojority of the guys who do it down there are fishing from land.

Yep, he's fishing from shore. Said he's casts it a "mile" and just jigs it back in. I was relating the IBSP stories of the watchers mugging spots and he said the same thing happened to him today with a couple of "Mexican kids". He said he'd never seen those sinkers anywhere else, I was wondering if they are just casting weights that he's using. For that matter I don't know why you couldn't just put a dropper loop in your leader and fish it the same way. Guess I won't know until I see him again. He's been quite a changed guy, we used to fish the Salmon River a lot, as well as up and down NJ from SH to CMP. He had a heart attack while fishing SRI, luckily at the time they were having a race there so EMS got to him quickly. He had a stint put in and since then he's dropped about 80# and runs marathons. He still doesn't believe me about the NOAA permit, but has the DE license. I've been trying to get him back to NJ, after all it's just free registration now.

OK, casting weights. Thanks.

Any weights work. You don't even really need to jig as the current move swift enough to carry it for you. You just need to figure out at which depth the fish are hanging and adjust your rig for it.

Some guys even do it late summer for flounder with a bucktail.